New to here from Upstate South Carolina

Oh yeah, meant to say, I have called a few pet sitters but they always get real quiet on the phone when I tell them we have about 50 Guinea pigs and over 100 chickens. Needless to ssay, I haven't found one yet that is willing to come out for the afternoon and water everyone!
It's not like I am asking them to feed and water the cats, horse and fish also. Geez...........
gig.gif

Nadine... I know what you mean. and I only have 25 chickens. lol.
idunno.gif

Countygirl... I just read that. OMg. lmao...
lau.gif
That is so me. I dare my hubby to tell me to do something. I will go around hell and half of Georgia not too. And if I have to do something..
he.gif
It will take me forever to do it. After 16 years of marriage. He has learn to just ask me to do something. lmao...
love.gif

Oh and he does the laundry. lmao
lau.gif
And he does a really good job of it too.
ep.gif

Howdy from Charleston, I want to start my 1st chicken coop and need help. It will be on upper Meeting St in downtown Charleston, so they will be city slicker birds for sure. I am planning on buying a small pre-fabed chicken coop online and was wandering how many eggs I can harvest and how often from 4-6 birds. I am currently researching the laws here, but will do it either way. How long do birds live for and produce eggs? Are some birds better for meat and others better fro eggs? Can someone school a brother on chickens!?

Hay Nadine: Where in Caarleston did you get your chicks?

PS - Always happy to recommend nice hotels, killer restaurants and cool things only locals would know about!

Welcome to BYC, most pullets start laying around 20 weeks and lay well for the 1st yr. and start to slack off a bit by the 2ND yr. but they can continue to lay for yrs. Depending on the breed some lay an egg every day. IE, Sex Links, RIR and Leghorns to name but a few. Birds can live for quite a few yr if well taken care of, so be prepared to be in it for the long haul. I can guarantee that you will love the experience and it IS addictive. Have fun and read all you can about raising chickens, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here to help you if you need it and again welcome.

welcome-byc.gif
GreenSpirit.

I look in to getting my birds for a month or two before starting.. I know here in Spartanburg county there are no rules about chickens. But I know in town there is. Not sure what Charleston would say about chickens on meetings st. lol. I think I would do just hens no roosters. I got my chicks from Mcmurry. I did lose one in getting here but they sent extras so there was no worries. I decided I wanted the big birds, but good layers and mothers. Gentle birds too. I got orpingtons, brahmas,phoenix(hubby wanted them), australorps, and andalusians. They sent a rare chick with them. It is a silver wyandotte. Pretty bird but scares easy. There is alot of info online about which ones are the best.
D.gif
You know you can take those kids play houses and turn them into a coop. We took a part of our outbuildings back porch and took that for their coop. There are so really awesome ideas on here. Good luck and welcome sweetie. Happy chickening. lmao
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Anyone near Charleston want to throw in on a Mcmurray order? They have a minimum order of 25 birds, but I only want 4-5 layers. Don't know what I would do w/ 20 extra birds.

I know I have written on this board before but I am going to again! I am about 2 hours away from Greenville, SC. I live a few miles out of Westminster, SC.

Back
Top Bottom