New to Indian Runners

CountDuckula

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Good day all. I am new to keeping ducks, although I have done masses of research before taking the plunge. We have 9 Indian Runners, 7 are just under 6 weeks, and the other two are less than 4 weeks. They had been on heat until I got them last weekend, and I have weaned them off the heat now, although they are kept pretty warm in my garage (joined to the house) at present, and have only been outside on the lawn when the temperature has allowed (UK weather), but it has turned cold again now. They are currently living in a very large dog crate with mixed crumb and growers pellets and plenty of water, plus we feed them left over salad leaves every other day.

Now, we were informed that 7 are ducks, 1 is a Drake and 1 unknown, but I know how notoriously difficult IR's are to sex unless vent sexed at a day old, so until we hear them quacking we won't be sure. One is quacking quite loudly so I'm confident it's a duck, and the one we are informed is definitely a drake is bigger than the rest which makes sense. All the others are just chirping, quite loudly. Can anyone tell me when the chirps turn into quacks? Is there a link anywhere with the difference in quacks from drakes and ducks?

Also, do you think it's reasonable to permanently house them outside from 6 - 7 weeks, or do we need to wait for them to fully feather up? The 7 older chicks have started to gain a couple of feathers, but I guess it takes quite a while. We have a proper duck house to shut them away at night ready for them, which has a run attached of around 10 feet which we would restrict them to when unattended until they are big enough not to be prey to larger birds, and our garden is as fox proof as possible, 7 foot fencing and chicken wire covering all gaps, but we do live in the countryside.

Of the 9, 3 are yellow, 4 are chocolate and 2 are black, but I guess their colours may change when they get adult feathers? They all seem to be quite tame, the black ones are happy to be stroked and fed from the hand, the rest are a little more nervous but not especially so.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Congratulations on your ducklings and
welcome-byc.gif

Indian Runners are SO much fun. Usually you can tell girls boys by voice, starting around 4-6 weeks old, but you really can't be for positive sure until say 10 weeks. Then it will be really easy. The girls will be super loud, and distinctive in their quacks. The boys will retain their baby chirps longer, then morph into raspy whispery quacks. It will be different with each boy, one of mine has no voice at all
tongue.png
just a whisper, while other ones sound like a girl quack with a very very bad cold!

And as to outside. I have always taken my ducklings permenantly outside around 6-8 weeks. But then, I live in Michigan USA not UK. So...? It sounds like you have a really nice set-up though! Indian Runners are supposed to be known for being nervous, but I have found with treats and time, they can really be quite personable. Your black and Chocolate, should stay around that coloring, and the yellow, will either be white, or fawn and white.. not sure.

Well their is my two cents! Any one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.png

Thanks DnD, I shall keep listening for quacks, and keep my fingers crossed that they are mainly girls. Just wish the weather would warm up a touch so we can get them living outside with more space. I guess we should make the most of them still being little, no doubt they'll soon grow up.

Back
Top Bottom