New to it all....help !

Cajungirl86

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
I just got four Guinea keets at Atwoods today...I have no idea how old they are, or anything...it's 10 pm and they are very active right now...lots of cheeping and chirping right now...they are eating, but I can't tell if they are drinking anything...how can I tell when I'll be able to take them outside to their new run ?

Last edited:
Glad you joined us!
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

They are usually pretty well feathered by the time they are 5 to 6 weeks old. Here in Wyoming this time of year I will still give them a little heat at that age when it's really cold at night. But in the summer they are put in an outside coop with a covered run at 5 weeks. They shouldn't be allowed to free range until around 3 months old.

I'm sure you will have plenty of questions about them so feel free to ask. And post some pictures if you can. It will give us an idea about their age.
smile.png

I would say your babies are less than a week old. What color is the light colored one on the left? White, or does it have markings on the back? The others all look like they will be pearl gray.

White. ...one of the others s has a white breast and white on the sides of the head

The white one will probably stay white as an adult. The one with the white chest is a pied, probably pearl gray pied. It should retain the white chest and cheeks as an adult.

So...cedar is a no-no, I'm going back to newspaper...they like to scratch, and it doesn't faze the paper any...but I had to take the top off the feeder...little fluff heads keep getting inside of it and screaming bloody murder...even my Shar pei/ boxer mix was worried....from outside !

Last edited:
Paper towels or old bath towels would be a better option. Newspapers are too slick and you could end up with spraddle legs. I always use the old bath towels. They give traction and are more comfortable to sleep on.

When the keets are two weeks old they can be put on pine chips and the feeder and water can be placed a little higher on bricks or boards to keep the bedding out of them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom