New to mating hens

Very few domestic chickens lay a clutch of eggs and then start to sit on them. A few breeds or individuals might, but most will not. She will lay eggs for an undermined amount of time. It will not matter if you pick them or not. A few people who desire the hens to brood will leave a small group of eggs out to encourage the hen to sit, but they will not sit on eggs unless their hormones "tell" them to. Most domestic chickens never go broody. What type of hen do you have?

I have been raising baby chicks for 10 years now but never had a rooster breeding with a hen. My hen was broody till I brought rooster to mate with her. She had laid 2 eggs now and won’t sit on them. Maybe because she knows they’re not fertile? Why won’t she sit on them?
Hi, let me try to explain this well!

Broodiness is the impulse of girl hormones causing her to want to hatch chicks.
This is often bred out of many breeds and is uncommon In some while super common in others. A broody hen does not decide to sit on eggs nor does she know if they are fertile or not. Since a rooster mated her while being broody that probably broke it and unfortunately she got up. Broody hens don’t lay eggs either.

Something i like to call “working up to the broody” is where newly laying hens, or hens who have never been broody for will slowly get acclimated to becoming broody. One day, they may sit on a nest for 5 hours, but not hiss, puff up or show any broody signs. Then leave. The next, they may sit for 5 hours but begin showing signs. Etc etc until they eventually become broody and dedicated.

I wouldn’t feel bad though about her getting broken from it because she probably wasn’t *to* dedicated to her nest as of now if she got up very easily. Are you sure she was broody and not just laying?

Very few domestic chickens lay a clutch of eggs and then start to sit on them. A few breeds or individuals might, but most will not. She will lay eggs for an undermined amount of time. It will not matter if you pick them or not. A few people who desire the hens to brood will leave a small group of eggs out to encourage the hen to sit, but they will not sit on eggs unless their hormones "tell" them to. Most domestic chickens never go broody. What type of hen do you have?
Forgot the breed but here is a pic. She isnt good egg layer that I know.

Attachments

• IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom