new (to me) hens, when will they lay?

marcosmommy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Hello! About 3 weeks ago I aquired 5 hens and a rooster that were already laying (well, the rooster wasn't laying, hehe). I was hoping to start getting some eggs a few days after I got them settled into my coop, but I havn't gotten one egg yet. They are barnyard mutts, but I think they have some Rhode Island red in them. I was told they are about a year old. I have 4 pullets (barred rock hens) in the same coop, but their "space" is sectioned off with chicken wire because they are still on "baby food" (they are only 2.5 months old). I provided them with some homemade nesting boxes but all they do is roost on top of them. Any ideas on why they aren't laying for me yet?

I would check to see if they're laying somewhere else in a 'secret' nest. I've had chickens lay in the darndest places, especially if they're new to the laying game. Do you have a fake egg to put in the nest like a golf ball or plastic easter egg to give them the hint of where to lay?

How do you know that they were already laying? You may have just been told that they were laying hens...hate to think it, but it may be true. I bought 3 that were "laying" too, they told me and after a week, only 2 have laid eggs. They may just not be old enough yet...

sunday marked three weeks for my new girls (two rir hens a year old) still no eggs yet but I think that can be normal for a big move, we will see, I saw there eggs, and loved their owner so its got to be the stress of move, I give them treats and food and well,.............. I will check back, good luck maybe the morning will bring scrambled eggs~

I agree with the other posts. It could take days or it could take weeks before they start laying again.

do they free range? they could be laying somewhere else, which is common in my case, I have an aracana who will lay in the house for a few days then I cannot find her nest for a few days, what type of feed are they on? could be the switch of feed, they need to get use to to that... I am sure everything is fine, could be stress or hiding nest

Back
Top Bottom