new to peas... questions

It is possible that Your Indiablue pair are carrying a white gene (split to white ) to produce white chicks or the hen is at least split to white and mated with a white male.. The other possibility is that this pair though look Indiablue are actually split to Black shoulder to produce black shoulder chicks.

Look at the shoulder of the male. If it's solid black it's a black shoulder peacock. If it's black and white then it is an Indian Blue.

My pair is India blue no question. The little chicks are yellow, but now that they are a few days old, their wings are turning a peach color. I guess that means they are black shoulder chicks. What are the odds that all three chicks would come out black shoulder from blue parents? I'm very excited about it. It was totally unexpected.

celebrate.gif
That is so wonderful, now you have more colors.

My pair is India blue no question. The little chicks are yellow, but now that they are a few days old, their wings are turning a peach color. I guess that means they are black shoulder chicks. What are the odds that all three chicks would come out black shoulder from blue parents? I'm very excited about it. It was totally unexpected.
It is long odds that you would get three blackshoulder or three white chicks from split parents. IN fact, the odds of any one chick being BS or white from both parents split would be 25%. The odds of all three being BS or white would be like 2%! You hit the jackpot.

If you want to send/text me a picture of the parents, I can take a look at them for you since I am right across the bay. PM me if you want and I will give you my cell phone number.

Why don't you post pictures of the parents here, and the chicks, too??

Here's a picture of our Little Yellow, BS chick, at around 2 weeks old:

And here is Floppy, the guy that I *think* is the poppa, IB split BS...

And a few-days-old Little Yellow + sibling + momma, Chicken Girl, who also has to be IB split BS:

Both of your India blue looking parents are definitely split to blackshoulder. Other wise they do not produce BS chicks. Black shoulder is a pattern (solid wing) and is recessive. Needs two copies (one from each parent ) of that gene to express. (25 %) You will also get pure Indiablue chicks (25% ) and Indiablue split black shoulder chicks (50 %) from the same parents if that is their only genetic make up.

Back
Top Bottom