new to peas... questions

For India blues it is normally pretty early, maybe around four months old the peahens start to lose a lot of the barring that they have as young chicks, and the peacocks keep the barring and show more of rust colored flight feathers with some dark feathers in the center of the wing. The peahens will continue to get more sold wing coloration and the peacocks will continue to get more of a bold stripe pattern until it is a big contrast of black and white.

Here is a young peacock I am hand raising that is around four and a half months old. We knew he was a he since he hatched because there was something about him that just screamed "Peacock", we were right because as he got older he never lost those stripes.
IMG_0069.jpg

With me, I sexed them once they were dry from hatching out I only hatched out 5 though so I don't know if it works everytime or if it was just luck but if you look at the primary wing feathers on the peachicks you can tell a difference. The primary feathers should look close to that of an adult male of female. The males had an orangish color while the females were brown.

So can any one help me sex these peachicks? The first pictures are at 3 days old, and the other is, same chicks 6 days old. There are 3 India Blues(browns) and 3 Pieds. There is clearly some stippling or barring happening on all three brown(IBs) shoulders, is that significant? The Pieds, I have no clue, but there are a few speckles happening on one of the Pieds shoulders, you can kinda see in the last pic. Sorry, the chicks move a lot faster now, so getting in focus-pictures is getting harder.

With me, I sexed them once they were dry from hatching out I only hatched out 5 though so I don't know if it works everytime or if it was just luck but if you look at the primary wing feathers on the peachicks you can tell a difference. The primary feathers should look close to that of an adult male of female. The males had an orangish color while the females were brown.
Interesting theory shame all mine are pied, white or have white flights

Okay the second picture there should be one female and one male for the Indian Blues. The first image i can only tell the one Indian Blue is a male the one you can see the wing, the other Indian Blue peachick that is eating in the first image I can't tell very well because I can't see the wing feathers. I sex them by the wing feathers and I haven't had pied peachicks before I have only sexed Indian Blues but I read somewhere a few years ago that you can sex any bird by the elbow part on the wing, if there is a bump in the bone it is female and if not then it is male. I haven't tried that I usually do coloring when it comes to birds were the female and male have different plumage. I only know three ways to sex birds: tint, or coloring in the plumage which depends on the bird usually the male is brighter when it comes to all birds but as you can see in my profile picture with my Fawn & White Indian Runner ducks how one is darker while the other is brighter but the female duck is the brighter so that is why I only do tint and coloring if the plumage is different, the other is the wing bone trick but I haven't used that sexing method because most of my birds have different plumage, the last which I usually wouldn't use but hatcheries sometimes use is were you squeeze the chick a little bit just to open up the vent and if there is a bump then it is male if no bump then female. I hope what I have told you about the peachicks sex will be right and the information I have given helps and is right. Like I said I have only sexed 5 peachicks and I was right but it might have just been luck I might be wrong but if I am right then I will assume that my sexing method with Indian Blue peachicks is correct please notify me if I'm correct when they are older. Once they are older it will be alot easier to sex them. Also at the begging of these posts were you posted both of your peacocks, I hate to bring the bad news but by the looks of it they are both males looking at the primary feathers. If you don't know what and where the primary feathers are they are the one furthest away from the body, the wing tips, that is where you can see the difference between male and female peafowls before they're ready to breed.

So can any one help me sex these peachicks? The first pictures are at 3 days old, and the other is, same chicks 6 days old. There are 3 India Blues(browns) and 3 Pieds. There is clearly some stippling or barring happening on all three brown(IBs) shoulders, is that significant? The Pieds, I have no clue, but there are a few speckles happening on one of the Pieds shoulders, you can kinda see in the last pic. Sorry, the chicks move a lot faster now, so getting in focus-pictures is getting harder.
Thanks the tips!

Zazouse, how I came to that theory is seeing the difference in the adults and looking if the peachicks have the same differences as well. I am trying to find out how to do the plumage for white and pied peafowls because I'm trying to get white peahen or peacock. So I'm looking into it I will let you guys know when I discover and make another theory.

New 2 Peafowl, I looked at the picture that you posted and looked at the primary feathers and it looks like my theory is right so you might have just helped me confirm my Indian Blue peachick sexing based on the wing theory. Thank you. Msmolly I will help you with the sexing once there is a picture for the Indian Blue peachick that is unsexed and I hope for the best that you will find out what sex the pied peafowls are I'm doing research to see if I can find differences and will post my theory if I come up with one. Same with white peafowls.

Zazouse, how I came to that theory is seeing the difference in the adults and looking if the peachicks have the same differences as well. I am trying to find out how to do the plumage for white and pied peafowls because I'm trying to get white peahen or peacock. So I'm looking into it I will let you guys know when I discover and make another theory.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom