New to pest

Cheppy Cheep

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
Hi guys,
Please forgive me for this post.
My husband has been very ill and my babies have gone somewhat neglected in inspection. During the summer months I was checking every night with a small flash light bugs on there bodies.
However, we have a hoop coop and we just went through a major artic blast. However we also just had our first 82 degree day. My Care Bear has red bugs all over her feathers. I took ash from my fire place and dusted her today. I dusted all of them. We have ten laying hens. I don't mind using ivermectin but there isn't a dropper small enough for the ivermectin in a ml form. I have seen the breakdown on some of the chicken pages but it's not very user friendly and I am against Psp stuff. It kills bees. If it gets that bad I might consider it. Is it just on the wood that you are spraying the the stuff that kills the bugs. Wish they had a dip I could use. My girls love a spa day. Love the hair drier.
Could you help me. The only wood in the coop is at the base.the rest is wire. They have plastic crates with blankets. I plan on burning all there beading. Blankets will be soaked in hard bleach for a couple of days. Might just toss.
Tangie

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_162209963_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20231108_162209963_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 32
Most pharmacies will give you free an oral syringe just for the asking. Ivermectin may treat the chickens' bodies, but if you have coop mites in the wood, you will need a spray insecticide such as Elector PSP or permethrin concentrate.

They have plastic crates with blankets.
Blankets in nesting boxes would give the pests a place to hide /live /reproduce I would remove them and all bedding and spray your coop with permethrin. And then add new bedding. you can use the same spray for your chickens or permethrin also comes in powder form to dust your birds. Just doing birds usually won't get rid of most pest as they also live in bedding and coop. Also, you need to retreat as directed as most treatments only kill living pests not the eggs that will hatch and reinfest your coop/birds.

Back
Top Bottom