New to Pheasants

Finished the Brooder this weekend. Will turn the heat lamps on this afternoon and leave on to get the temps set. Go tomorrow to pick up the chicks.
Ordered the flight net for the outdoor pen and should have it this week. I will then get started on it.

Picked up 104 day old chicks. Got them home and all settled in. Many are eating and drinking. Had 1 go down shortly after they were home. All the others seem to be active and lively. Will post pics soon. Did notice that the temp was down today so I lowered the lights some. Will continue to monitor temps and adjust the lights to get it steady above 90degrees.

Picked up 104 day old chicks. Got them home and all settled in. Many are eating and drinking. Had 1 go down shortly after they were home. All the others seem to be active and lively. Will post pics soon. Did notice that the temp was down today so I lowered the lights some. Will continue to monitor temps and adjust the lights to get it steady above 90degrees.

Shouldn't your temperature be 95 degrees for the 1st week?

90-95 degrees first week from all my reading. I am working to get it as close to 95 as I can. I am also watching the birds to tell me when they are comfortable. They are spread out pretty well now. They are not huddling or piling. Just checked temp and it is 89. Lowered lights a little more and will check them again in a couple hours.

Last edited:
90-95 degrees first week from all my reading. I am working to get it as close to 95 as I can. I am also watching the birds to tell me when they are comfortable. They are spread out pretty well now. They are not huddling or piling. Just checked temp and it is 89. Lowered lights a little more and will check them again in a couple hours.

Your call but in my opinion/experience anything under 95 is too low for day old pheasants. I drop mine to 90 degrees at one week old and drop 5 degrees each week after that.

Last light adjustment did the job. Temp is 96. I will watch it over the next few hours to make sure it stays there.

It's 95 degrees for the 1st week and each week after drop it 5 degrees.You may also want to give them vitamins and electrolytes once a week.
How will you keep a steady temp with a light bulb outside where the temps fluctuate?
In N.H.,Tony.

Temp has been stable at 96 degrees for the past few hours.
I am sure I will have to adjust lights tomorrow as it will warm up outside some. I am sure it will be a chore for the next few days to make sure it is good. Just part of having a separate brooder from the house I guess.

Back
Top Bottom