New To Quail - Advise required

USUALLY AROUND HERE THE ONLY SAMENESS LAW I BREAK ON CLEAN UP DAY IS WITH MY VALLEYS... MY ROO "KILLER" WILL IMMEDIATELY JUMP UP ON TOP OF THE WATER FONT AND START BARKING HIS LIL FEATHERED HEAD OFF UNTIL THE "SHOVEL" MONSTER GETS PUT AWAY
roll.png

THUS THE NAME "KILLER"... HE SOUNDS LIKE A LITTLE RAGAMUFFIN ANKLE BITER DOG WHEN HE BARKS THE ALARM. KINDA LIKE A TEACUP CHIHUAHUA IN THE BOTTOM OF AN EMPTY MASON JAR
lau.gif

No Hillarious Is Watching My 14lb Cochin Roo Look All Over For The 3lb Barking Rat To Terrorize When He's Out Free Ranging With The Girls On Rare Occaisions And The Valley Barks The Alarm -- Just Add A Beer And Sit Back And Watch The Comedy Show
smile.png

Its Quite A Scene To Behold... The Valley Doin His Best To Warn His Group And The Cochin Rooster Goin "ok Where's That Little Mutt? I Know He's Here Somewhere I Can Hear Him!"

Quote:
VERY nice coop! As far as the ramp going up, if they get to where they won't use the ramp, you can use bricks and make "steps" for them. I had similar trouble with getting my quail to go into their coop using a ramp. So I did away with the ramp and stacked bricks up to the "pop hole". Quail are "hoppers" over being climbers. As for the hay, your quail will love the hay to make nests in. Some of my quail build elaborate nests for the girls to literally hide in and do their egg laying. I use Burmuda Grass Hay during the breeding season for nest building and Alfalfa the rest of the year for the protein in the winter months. But I will warn you about hay. It molds really easily if it gets wet. And being that quail like to eat hay, it can be dangerous if they eat the moldy stuff. So if you can keep it dry, I think you have a TERRIFIC setup!
smile.png

Quote:
VERY nice coop! As far as the ramp going up, if they get to where they won't use the ramp, you can use bricks and make "steps" for them. I had similar trouble with getting my quail to go into their coop using a ramp. So I did away with the ramp and stacked bricks up to the "pop hole". Quail are "hoppers" over being climbers. As for the hay, your quail will love the hay to make nests in. Some of my quail build elaborate nests for the girls to literally hide in and do their egg laying. I use Burmuda Grass Hay during the breeding season for nest building and Alfalfa the rest of the year for the protein in the winter months. But I will warn you about hay. It molds really easily if it gets wet. And being that quail like to eat hay, it can be dangerous if they eat the moldy stuff. So if you can keep it dry, I think you have a TERRIFIC setup!
smile.png

Hello Everyone

Great news. After three weeks of waiting I got my first batch of eggs today. So far I have only found two but I am sure there are more. I will look when the sun goes down. They are just lazying in th heat and are not moving from their resting place. They have become so attached to us they dont care now if our hands inside the coop. They dont even move a inch. its like they are think " Ahh whats he going to do. I'm not moving for you. Go get our food stupid"

As for the mould on the hay thanks for the tip. As you can see from the picture there is a plastic sheet. When it starts raining this covers the whole of the coop to keep it dry. It was really pouring here in London and when I came back home the hay was dry

Thank you to everyone for helping me

Back
Top Bottom