New to Quail hatching, Any tips?

taylynp

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2020
Hello! Just recently we hatched 4 out of 6 chicken eggs (one was unfertilized) and my brother was so happy he decided to buy fertilized quail eggs. We have had chickens for 5 years now and recently have started branching out with breeds like bantam, silky, and lavender. We have done our research on quails and know the basics of food, temp, and enclosure. We have 11, one was cracked when we inspected them before putting them into the incubator. Just wondering if anyone has some tips for new quail hatchers. Anything is appreciated! We are approaching the lockdown date and are getting anxious :).

Hello and :welcome

Nabiki has an excellent quail fact sheet she distributes with her hatching eggs. It makes other tips superfluous.

look at post #2 in this thread about quail eggs.

Let me know if that helps. And don’t forget to post pictures when your fuzzies start coming out.

Hello and :welcome

Nabiki has an excellent quail fact sheet she distributes with her hatching eggs. It makes other tips superfluous.

look at post #2 in this thread about quail eggs.

Let me know if that helps. And don’t forget to post pictures when your fuzzies start coming out.
Thank you so much for the article, it has great tips! I definitely will post pics once they hatch. We're all excited :). Not sure if you can answer this, but for housing, our chicken coop is currently split because we were integrating bantams in with our reds. They're now completely together and we leave the door open between them and they have a chicken mansion lol. We were going to move our quails into the one side the bantams were in once they reach mature age. Can chickens and quails co-habit together on opposite sides of a coop with chicken wire separating them?

Thank you so much for the article, it has great tips! I definitely will post pics once they hatch. We're all excited :). Not sure if you can answer this, but for housing, our chicken coop is currently split because we were integrating bantams in with our reds. They're now completely together and we leave the door open between them and they have a chicken mansion lol. We were going to move our quails into the one side the bantams were in once they reach mature age. Can chickens and quails co-habit together on opposite sides of a coop with chicken wire separating them?
No. Chickens will kill quail. Size difference is too big

Well, with secure separation they should be ok. I have done something similar before. The main risk I worried about was that a quail gets pecked while sticking its head through the wire.

Well, with secure separation they should be ok. I have done something similar before. The main risk I worried about was that a quail gets pecked while sticking its head through the wire.
Great thank you! The inside separation wire is very small, almost like a wire mesh and sturdier than the chicken wire on the outside so there wont be any interaction besides them seeing each other. I really appreciate the advice, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom