New to raising chickens and need some advise

NewChick86

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Hi everyone, My name is Michel and my neighbor gave me 2 Buff Orpingtons (adult) upon finishing my chicken coop. These are the first chickens I have ever had. I have had them now for 3 days and they are very skiddish and I am not sure that they are eating properly. I have feed and water out for them at all times but it does not look like they are eating. Also one has found a hole between the wall of the shed (which I turned into the coop) and I have not seen him come out since I got him 3 days ago.... any suggestions??

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana!!

Well they don't take change very well. With 2 chickens you might not notice a huge dent out the food. As far as the one that got in a hole. 3 days?? You really really need to get it out or it will die without food & water!!

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Get some meal worms and put a few in their food dish. It should help get them eating. I agree with Barred Babies as well. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

I would say go looking for the one in the hole lol, and give them treats and have patience. It takes time, and lots of love. Give them some treats, watermelon etc out of your hand would be good. Then they know the foods from you

Thank you all for your responses and warm welcome. I have been sprinkling sunflower seeds into the coop and meal worms in the feed, but as far as them eating from my hand....not so good. Whenever I get close to the one she starts clucking at me lol and then fly's around.... I even sat down on the floor with the meal worms in my hand for a good 45 min. and all she did was stare. As for the one that was in the hole, we got her out last night and she is looking a little rough, can't tell if she ate or not.....does anyone have any tricks as to getting them to warm up to you? I don't want to give them too much of the treats. My husband was thinking maybe they didn't like the coop, because they were free to roam when they lived with our neighbor?? idk...

Make sure the food you offer (besides the treats) are the same exact type as the previous owner's. They don't like sudden changes in that sometimes as well. Sounds like they are not socialized at all. Just make sure you have food availible all the time (and water) and treats here and there until they adjust to the new place.... And approach them slowly. It will take time. If they stress a ton when you are close, leave them alone for a few days. Let them settle. And note that "treat" does not necessarily mean junk food. Just not their typical feed. Meal worms, scratch, milo, corn (cracked corn) all good stuff.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom