new to raising chickens in NJ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickobsessed, May 21, 2012.

1. chickobsessed

chickobsessed Chirping

May 19, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Hello everyone,[​IMG] I have always been interested in chickens and about 5 years ago decided i would soon get some. Although it took me 5 years to actually do so, i recently got my first chicks.[​IMG] The chicks are about 12 weeks old now. Everytime i go onto the web site and read about the different types of chickens i decide i want another one. I have been totally obsessed with them. I now have almost 40 chicks. i spend all my free time taking care of them and building my first coop. Which by the way is now too small. I will have to build another. My family and most of my friends think i am crazy. I have at least realized, reading all of the posts and pages from everyone on byc, that if i am crazy, there are an awful lot of us out there the same as i. It has deffinately become an obsession for me. But I'm loving every minute of it. I love this site. At least i know I'm not as crazy as my family thinks, for having chickens anyway! [​IMG]

2. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Songster

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    Welcome to the coop of BYC! [​IMG] I do believe we're all a little chicken-crazy here - it's what makes this website all the more special. Very glad to have you!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us chicken crazy peeps! [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. DeniseL

DeniseL Chirping

May 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to BYC! There are worse things you could become obsessed over than chickens! Enjoy building the new coop (there are lots of great ideas on the site). So far I've resisted adding one of every type I want. But maybe someday...

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new hobby! Wow, 5 years, that's a long wait :lol:
    Chicken folks have a name for buying more chicks, it's called "chicken math", hehe.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site :D

7. philbfarm

philbfarm Songster

Apr 18, 2012
    W. Sayville, New York
    Greetings from New York! [​IMG] !!! I too waited (not quite 5 years, but close) - wanted to do it right. It was well worth the wait. Nothing wrong with "a little crazy". Enjoy your peeps.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and enjoy. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: