new to raising chickens/ some egg laying problems

cozyflickers

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
sad.png
I had 5 chickens given to me to raise. One is a barred rock (i think that is the name) And she is about 2yrs old, I have had her for 9wks with no eggs yet.
The others not sure what they are but they were about 4-5wks old when I got them and also have had them 9wks... no eggs(not even sure they are hens). I have one chick that was about 1wk so now is about 10wks, my older hen has taking this one in as her own.. Question is when do I start to see eggs. I thought at least the older one would give me one or two a week.
Anyone got any advise/suggestions anything???

The younger ones sound like they aren't quite old enough to lay yet (if they are in fact girls). Are you positive that the older one is female? Could you tell us a little more about the situation? Where are you keeping them? Are they confined or allowed to free range? Do they have a nest box? Possible reasons I can think of based on what you said -

She may be older than you think.
She may be a He.
She may be molting.
She may be laying eggs where you can't find them.
A predator may be stealing the eggs before you get to them.
She may be in poor health.

Also, if she is mothering the youngest one, she may not lay any eggs until she decides it's old enough to cut loose.

I hope it works out for you!
fl.gif

The fact that they are new would account for the older hen not laying. The othere have a long way to go as it is 20 weeks old when they lay. If your older hen has adopted a young chick she will stop laying till it is on its own.

Yup, Im sure the older one is a hen (that I do know.lol)
I am keeping them in a 10 foot area that is completley fenced in top and sides to prevent preditors. The coop has 2 nesting boxes.

I have seen a few feathers for my older one laying around.

I was told she is a couple years old. I don't know for sure though but I took her cuz I didn't want them to cook her for dinner. LOL.. I am such a sucker for animals.

I am really hoping the younger ones are hens, I can't have roosters where I am in town, and I becoming attached as they come running to the fence everyday in the am and pm when I go to see them, got them eating from my hand.

maybe I will post pictures and everyone can take a peak and let me know.

She is sooo mothering the little one, it sleeps under her in fact at first I thought something happened to my baby and I kept hearing a chirp then I saw a little beak peeking out infront of the older hen, it was sooo cute.. (yes, I'm a little attached) So if that is her problem when does she stop being a mom and start laying again?

Quote:
Sounds like this is your problem!
big_smile.png

If the little one is 10 weeks old now, she probably won't mother it too much longer, I wouldn't think. I had a Barred Rock go broody, and by the time her babies got to be about six weeks old or so, she was SO done with them! I know it varies, though, so I'm afraid you may just have to wait and see. As for your younger ones, they should start laying (if they're female) in a month to two months, probably. They begin to lay at around 20 weeks of age on average, but some are as early as sixteen weeks, others are much later. Again, it just depends.

Good luck - I hope you have all girls and I hope you get some eggs soon!
fl.gif

My broody/mama's chicks are 8 weeks and she is still mothering them as if they were day olds. She is a small bird and they are Buff Orps, so they are nearly as big as she is! But they still sleep under her wings -- sort of -- they don't really fit --

Back
Top Bottom