new to raising chickens

Ok, Emchick, here is one of my Wyandotte Girls as a baby then some of my Wyandottes as grown hens:
3DaysOldLacy.jpg

DCP_4875.jpg

DCP_3782.jpg

DCP_4748.jpg

I have had experience with them all and I find them to be the most beautiful birds available; good choice! The wyandottes and japanese are good layers and "millies" easily become tame and are very beautiful. Both millies and japanese are good setters and mothers too.

The wyandottes are very hardy and don't require any extra care but if you are showing the banties they will need some special attention, but only to keep them looking their best, they are just as hardy as the big birds though!

The japanese bantams will have long wing feathers that hang low to the ground. Try to keep them in the henhouse when it is muddy out, otherwsie their lower wing feathers can get mud on them and fray the edges and break off.

The same goes for the mille fleurs, they can get mud on their leg feathers which can damage them so keep them in when its muddy. Mille fleurs will have small speckles when they first feather out but as they age their plumage will become more stunning. I've heard it takes 4 years for the spangles to fully develope but they will look beautiful long before then. I'll show you a pic of a pullet and an old hen so you can see the difference.

000_0167.jpg

young mille fleur pullet with small spangles (spots)

000_0212.jpg

old mille fleur hen with developed spangles (sitting on eggs)

i would keep each breed of them separate from each other...they will thrive if you do! cornishman.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom