New to raising ducks! Have some questions if anyone can help! :)

LoveMyDaisyGirl

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Nebraska
Hello, I recently got my first duck babies and they are about 9 weeks old this week. I have been giving them Brewer's Yeast every day since I got them and I was wondering how long I need to supplement Niacin in their diet? I heard that they'll only need it until about 10 weeks? Also, how many weeks old should they be until I start feeding them Flock Raiser? Right now they are getting a 15% pretein feed because I read they need less protein while they are growing to prevent Angel Wing. I am new to this and want the very best for my babies so I hope someone can help! I appreciate it very much!
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC! I won't be able to help you with the Niacin, but @Amiga might be able too. You should feed them Flock Raiser around 10 to 11 weeks old.

Some time in the next week or two you can start dropping the extra niacin.

There is a Sticky on Raising Ducklings you may find helpful. Sounds like you are all doing fine. Next milestone is watching for mating behavior so you can set out free choice oyster shell for calcium.

No need for the niacin anymore. As a rule we start all Ducks at 8 weeks on grower food, scratch grains, oat and barley crumble all mixed together and free range grass. Veggies and fruit is also added. I give dry cat food two or three times a week as extra protein.

No need for the niacin anymore. As a rule we start all Ducks at 8 weeks on grower food, scratch grains, oat and barley crumble all mixed together and free range grass. Veggies and fruit is also added. I give dry cat food two or three times a week as extra protein.
Thank you for the advice! Mine get lots of free range and veggies every day as well! I've never heard of the dry cat food though!

Some time in the next week or two you can start dropping the extra niacin.

There is a Sticky on Raising Ducklings you may find helpful. Sounds like you are all doing fine. Next milestone is watching for mating behavior so you can set out free choice oyster shell for calcium.
Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it! How many months old will they start to mate? And should I be worried about my male getting aggressive towards my girls or over mating them? I have 1 drake and 5 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom