New to raising ducks! Have some questions if anyone can help! :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoveMyDaisyGirl, Aug 16, 2016.

1. LoveMyDaisyGirl

LoveMyDaisyGirl Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Nebraska
    Hello, I recently got my first duck babies and they are about 9 weeks old this week. I have been giving them Brewer's Yeast every day since I got them and I was wondering how long I need to supplement Niacin in their diet? I heard that they'll only need it until about 10 weeks? Also, how many weeks old should they be until I start feeding them Flock Raiser? Right now they are getting a 15% pretein feed because I read they need less protein while they are growing to prevent Angel Wing. I am new to this and want the very best for my babies so I hope someone can help! I appreciate it very much! [​IMG]

2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! I won't be able to help you with the Niacin, but @Amiga might be able too. You should feed them Flock Raiser around 10 to 11 weeks old.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some time in the next week or two you can start dropping the extra niacin.

There is a Sticky on Raising Ducklings you may find helpful. Sounds like you are all doing fine. Next milestone is watching for mating behavior so you can set out free choice oyster shell for calcium.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No need for the niacin anymore. As a rule we start all Ducks at 8 weeks on grower food, scratch grains, oat and barley crumble all mixed together and free range grass. Veggies and fruit is also added. I give dry cat food two or three times a week as extra protein.

5. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    Nicest duck breeds?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  6. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Pekins are like puppies. :)

7. LoveMyDaisyGirl

Aug 16, 2016
    Nebraska
    I have a Pekin and Rouens and they are all really nice! Very calm and sweet.

8. LoveMyDaisyGirl

Aug 16, 2016
    Nebraska
    Thank you for the advice! Mine get lots of free range and veggies every day as well! I've never heard of the dry cat food though!

9. LoveMyDaisyGirl

Aug 16, 2016
    Nebraska
    Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it! How many months old will they start to mate? And should I be worried about my male getting aggressive towards my girls or over mating them? I have 1 drake and 5 ducks.

10. LoveMyDaisyGirl

Aug 16, 2016
    Nebraska
    Thank you I'm glad to be here! Thank you for your help and advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by