new to Silkies

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
Ok, this is Muppet (chocolate) and Dandelion. Both three weeks old, not related. We corrected splayed leg in Dandelion then she had a week of pasty butt and protruding vent but has always had good energy, eating and drinking. She’s still very tiny, half the size of Muppet, who just grew a top knot it seems?

Tell me all the things I need to know about Silkies. Thinking they will get the little grow out coop to themselves when they can go outside. I have a small backyard flock of bantam cochins and full size hens, and understand they may pick on Silkies?

Attachments

• EF909897-D62E-4169-8806-5637965536BE.jpeg
    EF909897-D62E-4169-8806-5637965536BE.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 282
Silkies are usually the bottom of the pecking order but that doesn't mean they can't defend themselves. My first silkie hen was a rescue she had a deformed foot so we were going to keep as a pet only, she started at the bottom of the pecking, she started to peck and correct the younger australorps until she took there place doing the same with my hamburgs and even took 2nd place at 1 point, only under my bosy isa hen. she and my other isa hen would take 2nd and 3rd spot depending on the day.

Since then I have lost my fiesty baby but my silkie number is now at 10, my mix flock contains, ISA browns, hamburgs, B australorps, auracanas, leghorns and all types of mixes

Sillies aren't much different from normal silkies, you will have to trim there bum fluff because of poo building up there and if they get drenched they you might have to blow dry them, as my flock is free range I do either trim or tie up there poof.

Silkies are usually the bottom of the pecking order but that doesn't mean they can't defend themselves. My first silkie hen was a rescue she had a deformed foot so we were going to keep as a pet only, she started at the bottom of the pecking, she started to peck and correct the younger australorps until she took there place doing the same with my hamburgs and even took 2nd place at 1 point, only under my bosy isa hen. she and my other isa hen would take 2nd and 3rd spot depending on the day.

Since then I have lost my fiesty baby but my silkie number is now at 10, my mix flock contains, ISA browns, hamburgs, B australorps, auracanas, leghorns and all types of mixes

Sillies aren't much different from normal silkies, you will have to trim there bum fluff because of poo building up there and if they get drenched they you might have to blow dry them, as my flock is free range I do either trim or tie up there poof.
Thanks for the reply- is “sillies” a thing, because that does sound like what we’ve experienced with Dandelion?

Sillies?? I'm intrigued.

Ok, this is Muppet (chocolate) and Dandelion. Both three weeks old, not related. We corrected splayed leg in Dandelion then she had a week of pasty butt and protruding vent but has always had good energy, eating and drinking. She’s still very tiny, half the size of Muppet, who just grew a top knot it seems?

Tell me all the things I need to know about Silkies. Thinking they will get the little grow out coop to themselves when they can go outside. I have a small backyard flock of bantam cochins and full size hens, and understand they may pick on Silkies?
I've always kept my silkies with more docile bantams because they seem to stay at the bottom of the pecking order because they don't fly well. Their feathers aren't as water repellent as other breeds so you may have to blow dry them if they get extremely wet. Feather brain pretty much covered everything else I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom