New to site & chickens & could use some help

tracyfozby

Hatching
Nov 27, 2015
Hi everyone. I have one black chicken that I acquired & she's about 7 months old. She is outside during day but sleeps inside at night. Last Saturday I noticed she wasn't feeling well. Sunday morning I checked her crop since she hadn't gone to the bathroom in over 24 hours & it was full - so I massaged it thru out the day & she finally went but it wasnt normal. She didn't leave her blanket for 4 days but would eat soft foods - yogurt, grapes, tomatoes & turkey hot dogs. I put apple cider vinegar in her water. The last 2 days I have been making her come outside with me for a little while & she does pep up & & peck & scratch & give herself a bath but then wants to go back in. She normally lays an egg almost daily but hasn't laid one since Saturday. Her crop has been fine since then & she doesn't appear to be egg bound. There is a lot of thick white in her stool. Can anyone help me with suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated? Thank you Tracy & Velvet the chicken

Hi :welcome Tracy

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you have a poorly hen :hugs
Have you checked that she has not got an egg stuck? Here is an article all about egg binding in this link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention
Often though when a hen is poorly and under the weather she will quit laying anyway. Has she been wormed at all? Could be a worm burden that is bothering her. As you said she had crop problems here is an article about this too ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
Could she be starting a moult? This can be quite a stressful time for them as it takes a lot out of them to produce the new feathers.

I see you have posted in the emergencies section, that is a rest place where lots of members will be able to help you.

Good luck with her, I hope she is back to full health soon :fl

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

welcome-byc.gif

Yorkshire coop has given you some great information and links, I hope it helps get your girl back to normal soon. It's always worrisome when they aren't feeling themselves.

Good luck to you and your girl, thanks for joining us!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Soft foods like plain yogurt, mashed hard boiled egg, warm oatmeal may be better to feed her without upsetting her digestion. I hope folks on the emergency thread can diagnose her and recommend treatment. Is she drinking well enough, I know you said she's eating? Have you had her very long. Chickens are flock animals and generally do better with a few buddies around.

It sounds like she is a house chicken, if so that is fine. House birds end up being very sociable like pet dogs. They consider their humans as flock members. There is a very good thread called "people with house chickens."

Back
Top Bottom