New to the chick life

Welcome to the flock! :jumpy

I didn’t see where you’re from - how’s your weather? Your birds are a week and two weeks old? So there could be heat requirements until they’re well feathered out. That would be my greatest concern in moving them now unless you can provide a heat source in the coop.

In my limited experience, how quickly different breeds become very active varies a lot. You may have plenty of space, but also a bird who’s more vertically inclined than the others! How big is your brooder? The fact that you have a screen over it is good- easy to see through, good light, good ventilation, and easily removed for periods of supervised edge-sitting.

We raised 13 chicks to 6 weeks in our basement. I won’t do that again, but the removable screen was a huge help in making the space work. I have some great video of the chicks sitting up on the brooder edge, on the sofa arm, on the dog’s head. Then, when play time was up the screen went back on.

Good to hear your experience with ACE. I was very impressed with the variety, especially, and also that there was knowledgeable staff.

Welcome again, and good luck with your birds! You’re in for a fine time.

Ok, coffee is kicking in now.

Something else to consider (and fun, too) is providing some “enrichment” elements in the brooder. Little roosts, blocks of wood for hopping onto and hiding behind, even a swing. Put their feed and water up a little higher to make a different space. Drop some feed into the bedding to encourage scratching. Hang some greens from a clothes pin for pecking.

Raise well-rounded, intellectual birds!;)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

There are a few things you can do. First, lower the temp a couple degrees, this will chill them out a bit. Chicks get bored so give them things to do. Some roost bars in the brooder, branches to climb on, I like to cut down a cereal box laid on its side so they can climb in and play inside, you can put crushed dried leaves, alfalfa leaves, chick starter and a sprinkling of sand inside. You can lay down an old sheet and get them out on the living room floor, make sure to lock away all cats, dogs, other danger. And on nice days, get them outside to the coop! Anything to burn off stress and calories in the brooder.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our community!

You can give them an obstacle course to investigate. For instance a small, brightly colored ball to push around. Wooden blocks to climb on, an upside down box with opening in the front and one side so they can figure out which door they want to go through getting in and getting out.

Back
Top Bottom