New to the chick life

GoldieHawn4

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
Hi,
I am new to chicks and just received 4 babes from ACE Hardware last week. My Golden sex linked (Goldie Hawn) is about 2 weeks old now. The rest just over one week are Blue Cuckoo Maran (Pumpkin), Easter Egger (Honey Bunny) and a Prairie Bluebell (Halloween). They are indoors right now and they have been flapping their wings a lot the last couple days and Goldie has been trying to fly out of the brooder. She flew up onto the edge when I had the screen off to feed last night. Also, Halloween has been pecking at Pumpkin’s neck. Is it possible they need more space? Any tips are welcome ☺️

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

There are a few things you can do. First, lower the temp a couple degrees, this will chill them out a bit. Chicks get bored so give them things to do. Some roost bars in the brooder, branches to climb on, I like to cut down a cereal box laid on its side so they can climb in and play inside, you can put crushed dried leaves, alfalfa leaves, chick starter and a sprinkling of sand inside. You can lay down an old sheet and get them out on the living room floor, make sure to lock away all cats, dogs, other danger. And on nice days, get them outside to the coop! Anything to burn off stress and calories in the brooder.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our community!

Picture_20200725_171133312.jpg

Hi,
I am new to chicks and just received 4 babes from ACE Hardware last week. My Golden sex linked (Goldie Hawn) is about 2 weeks old now. The rest just over one week are Blue Cuckoo Maran (Pumpkin), Easter Egger (Honey Bunny) and a Prairie Bluebell (Halloween). They are indoors right now and they have been flapping their wings a lot the last couple days and Goldie has been trying to fly out of the brooder. She flew up onto the edge when I had the screen off to feed last night. Also, Halloween has been pecking at Pumpkin’s neck. Is it possible they need more space? Any tips are welcome ☺
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom