Breeding CRESTED DUCKS

DuckoJadeo

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
I have already posted this but I think I posted it at the wrong spot. I have some crescent ducks. Two females and a male the females and male are not really hanging out which I'm okay with from what I've read. And I know about the lethal Gene where I'm confused is if it's just one crested parent can they still die in the egg? Or does it need to be both crested parents? THANKS IN ADVANCE

I have already posted this but I think I posted it at the wrong spot. I have some crescent ducks. Two females and a male the females and male are not really hanging out which I'm okay with from what I've read. And I know about the lethal Gene where I'm confused is if it's just one crested parent can they still die in the egg? Or does it need to be both crested parents? THANKS IN ADVANCE
The crested gene itself can lead to neurological problems in all crested ducks. So breeding a crested duck with another not crested duck will have a 1 in 4 chance of the off spring being crested and that duck might have neurological problems.

Breeding two crested ducks there is a 1 in 4 chance that the neurological problem will be so severe the embryo will die in the shell without hatching; 1 in 2 chance that the offsprings will be crested an could have neurological problems and only a one in four chance of there beign a normal offspring.

I think it is wrong to breed crested ducks with such unfavorable odds.

I’ve also been looking into breeding crested ducks.
If you breed two ducks together that each have the crested gene, you will get:
25% of the ducklings that are dead in the shell
50% of the ducklings that carry the gene, but might or might not have a crest
25% of the ducklings that don’t have the crested gene

If you breed a crested parent duck to a non-crested gene carrier, you will get:
50% of the ducklings that carry the gene, but might or might not show the crest
50% of the ducklings that do not have the crested gene

http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/crested_call_genetics.html

The crested gene itself can lead to neurological problems in all crested ducks. So breeding a crested duck with another not crested duck will have a 1 in 4 chance of the off spring being crested and that duck might have neurological problems.

Breeding two crested ducks there is a 1 in 4 chance that the neurological problem will be so severe the embryo will die in the shell without hatching; 1 in 2 chance that the offsprings will be crested an could have neurological problems and only a one in four chance of there beign a normal offspring.

You can get around the issues if you breed crested to non crested.

me personally I am against breeding crested ducks because so many of them have terrible problems due to the deformity of their skull and endangered soft brain tissue under the poofy pretty looking crest. There are many opinions of people on this site. That is just mine.
I get that and understand that. We let our ducks free roam so we can't stop everything. I do know that the females don't want the male crested.

Okay so as long as they keep doing what they are doing like staying away from male crested we should be okay

I get it. Again They ducks free range am here and I can't control that part. Females pick who they pick, I just know they don't want the male crested.

The odds are better with one crested duck then. I'm hope that the females keep going the way they they are.

Back
Top Bottom