New to the Chicken Addiction!

Chickens will help you with the gardening too. Tilling the soil, pruning the leaves LOL (destroying the garden)... best to let them have it after you've got what you want out of it :D If you've been feeding them fruit with seeds such as papaya, watermelon, cantaloupe and vegetables such as winter squash you can expect your flock to "plant" those seed throughout the area that they occupy (or that you transfer their excrement to). Caution with letting them at your tomatoes though, the fruit and seeds are perfectly fine for them to have, the leaves are poisonous to them; not saying that they WILL eat the foliage, just saying to be mindful of it. Some chickens have more common sense than others on what they can and cannot eat.

I have a surprise garden all over my very large, enclosed yard (I'm thinking that I'm on about a quarter-acre, all chain link fenced.) I had surprise watermelon, zapillo (a hearty, pumpkin-like winter squash), and loads of papaya spring up, seemingly out of nowhere!

The watermelon and cantaloupe came in at a bad time of year for them, and the fruit rotted on the vine, the zapillo loved the extra water and was prolific (my neighbors are still thanking me for the free groceries), and of the papaya, I've left five growing in an area that I find acceptable, and that they'll thrive in.

Chickens will help you with the gardening too. Tilling the soil, pruning the leaves LOL (destroying the garden)... best to let them have it after you've got what you want out of it :D If you've been feeding them fruit with seeds such as papaya, watermelon, cantaloupe and vegetables such as winter squash you can expect your flock to "plant" those seed throughout the area that they occupy (or that you transfer their excrement to). Caution with letting them at your tomatoes though, the fruit and seeds are perfectly fine for them to have, the leaves are poisonous to them; not saying that they WILL eat the foliage, just saying to be mindful of it. Some chickens have more common sense than others on what they can and cannot eat.

I have a surprise garden all over my very large, enclosed yard (I'm thinking that I'm on about a quarter-acre, all chain link fenced.) I had surprise watermelon, zapillo (a hearty, pumpkin-like winter squash), and loads of papaya spring up, seemingly out of nowhere!

The watermelon and cantaloupe came in at a bad time of year for them, and the fruit rotted on the vine, the zapillo loved the extra water and was prolific (my neighbors are still thanking me for the free groceries), and of the papaya, I've left five growing in an area that I find acceptable, and that they'll thrive in.
The gardening has kind of taken over like the chickens did. We started with a smaller garden the first year. The second year it double and the past year it doubled again.
I also started composting, especially with the chicken droppings. LOL. Started a worm compost as well and the youngest grand daughter (2) is into bugs and worm and loves it. She fussed at the chickens for eating her worms. Ha! Ha!. I would love to see a surprise garden!

For your little bug lover, you could start a meal worm bin. Meal worms are easier than earthworms to grow, are dry and smooth "skinned." Not only do chickens love them, they are great to have on hand if you see a bluebird mama looking for baby food, or a house wren inspecting your porch.
Welcome to BYC. You will find lots to love about this site.

:welcome
What breeds do you have? Can't wait for pics!
I have 1 EE (started laying October 9). 2 Ri Red (1 started laying October 17) and the other 1 Sunday). The first two in the same laying box. I would say your eggs are just around the corner! Received my first set mentioned above on May 9th. I also have two golden lace Wyandotte’s and two silver laced Wyandotte. They were I guess day old chicks. My husband brought them home and he has no idea. I have two other and I believe they are also Wyandotte’s but not laced. I’ll have to send pictures of those two so maybe y’all can tell me because he doesn’t remember.

I have 1 EE (started laying October 9). 2 Ri Red (1 started laying October 17) and the other 1 Sunday. The first two in the same laying box. I would say your eggs are just around the corner! Received my first set mentioned above on May 9th. I also have two golden lace Wyandotte’s and two silver laced Wyandotte. They were I guess day old chicks. My husband brought them home and he has no idea. I have two other and I believe they are also Wyandotte’s but not laced. I’ll have to send pictures of those two so maybe y’all can tell me because he doesn’t remember.
What breeds do you have?

ECF8E29F-EC56-487B-B1FE-DED2B7CC17BA.jpeg E4BAFAAD-C6E6-416D-9AF4-29FF142A825A.jpeg A61092C4-011A-4BAC-B101-CE344C4149A9.jpeg 35313347-996F-466E-97DE-B42905544554.jpeg EBFC1CE2-AA00-400F-A877-F250E2438711.jpeg F73404BD-CB4A-41C4-8ED1-B1818F18837B.jpeg 62FD750B-27CD-4081-ACFC-218B5D1319BF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom