new to the chicken and egg life

newmusher

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Mendenhall, Yukon Territory
Hi. I am new to this chicken and egg stuff. inherited 39 chickens and one rooster when my partner and I bought our new home and, although I have had dogs, cats and rabbits, I have never had chickens (except as a child but I don't count that!). I live in the Yukon so it is cold and snowing up here now and my chickens are not laying more than 8 or so eggs a day. they have a covered outdoor "winter" run and since it has been no more than about -15 or so I have let them out during the day with access to their coop which I have a solar light in and on during the day. today it is -22 so turned on their lights and kept them in their coop for warmth, and will let them out for a bit later in the day. does anyone who is on this site live up here and have advice/tips they can impart with me on how to get the most from my chickens? where to get the best food (both nutrition wise and price wise), what's best to feed them, and when and so on? I would love to hear from you even if you don't live in the Yukon but have weather similar to us in the winter. Alberta and some of the eastern provinces I know would have similar winters so if you have some information to share I would love to hear from you. Thanks, Christina

welcome-byc.gif
You can look for people in your area in this section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Enjoy the site!

How old are your hens and what breed? A new home can dramatically drop the egg production as chickens do not handle stress well.

Hi, thanks for answering. the chickens are approximately 14 months old or so and they did not move, we did. they came with the house so no stress there for them. however, I have been doing some research and figure they may be at the end of their first cycle? at the end of a molt? and beginning their new cycle. also that they may need more light than we have here during the day now. may need to keep their indoor light on for more hours. will see how that works.
Cheers
Christina

Yes I am sure a light would help. 15 or so hours of light for the hens usually convinces the season is right for reproductivity. However I warn you some may not lay until spring.. :)

Back
Top Bottom