New to the chicken hobby. What have I done!?! What am I in for?

dale

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
My son-in-law helped me build a coop then moved to another state. I can't let this work of art sit empty and have a friend who is wanting rid of a bunch of his 2-3 year old chickens. They recently quit laying but the weather here turned cold. I've heard that if I heat the coop they might start producing again.

Coop is 5'x5' and I'll mount a 2x4 roost a couple feet off the ground and the nesting box 18" off the ground today. I've thought of adding some foamboard insulation as the coop is built of 2x4's and tin siding.

What do I do when I pick up the chickens? I can't very well put them in the cab of the truck with me; do I stick them in a gunny sack for the 20 minute relocation drive?

After I get them here do I stick them in the coop for a couple of days and then let them out to range? Presently they reside in an open barn so these are gals who are rather independent.

i wouldn't recomend a gunny sack but i would say get a nice cage and bungee a blanket around it to protect from the wind and to keep them calm... keep them in coop or run for a week or two before letting them go. they need to set it up as home...after they realize it's nice and safe. they'll come back.

If they're 2-3 years old they'll start laying again, but they are past their prime. You'll want some sort of dog carrier, possibly more than one, depending on how many birds you're picking up and how well they get along. When you get them home, you'll want to home them for a few days to a week by keeping them in the coop/run.

I picked up mine and my sons chickens in a large cardboard box. As soon as I started to move they seemed to like the vibration of the car and they settled down nicely, but if you have cages available that is better I am sure. My sister got her 6 in one box, like a crisp box (potato chips).

But welcome anyway, I am sure you will have a great time with them, and this is a great community.
Jena

Congratulations....your life will never be normal !! hahaha !! Welcome to BYC !! Alot of information here !!

Whenever I have picked up new chickens I have usually taken along a large box/container with a lid or flaps....make sure there are holes for them to breath....They should be quiet in the darkness...
Have your coop all ready for your new chickens before you pick them up....
I ususally try and do it at dusk/dark when they're roosting using a flash light I pick them up holding their wings down and put them in the box....you'll probably need someone else to help you .I find there is less stress on the chickens and me ....
and when you get back to your coop place them one by one onto the roost .....you can leave them inside to adjust for a day or so...just make sure they have enough ventalation ..food ...water...
and then the fun begins....Good Luck !!!
and then again when I received a free Rooster with our new horse the fella grabbed him by the feet and put him in a feed sack and I held him all the way home...he was fine...

woot.gif
Have fun with your new chickiens!

welcome-byc.gif

You're in for it now.... let the chicken addiction take hold... don't fight it
wink.png
LOL This time next year you'll be posting pics of all of your coops and breeds... HA!

I agree... a cage or even a nice sized box with a blanket or pine shavings would be the best way to get them home. Once they realize where food, water and shelter is, hopefully they won't go far. If they're used to living free range, they may decide to sleep somewhere other than the coop
tongue.png
Of course, if this happens... you can always buy some MORE chickens for the coop
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom