New to the chicken world!

lking1213

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Linton, IN
Hello my husband and I are new at having chickens. We have three Rhode Island Reds girls. They are so sweet, healthy and growing. Can't wait for the fresh eggs. Is there are treats I can give them beside the ones you buy at the feed store? They are approximately 10 to 12 weeks old.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh yes!! You can give them kitchen scraps. Stay away from the following though:
Alcohol

Moldy Foods

Anything Salty

Asparagus-This will change the flavor of a hen’s egg to a bad taste but it otherwise is not harmful.

Avocado-Avocado has a fatty acid in it called “persin” which sadly can be fatal to chickens and sometimes other birds.

Green Areas of Potatoes, Peels and Potato Sprouts-All are poisonous to chickens and you personally shouldn’t eat them either!

Herbs and Plants to Stay Away from-Azalea, philodendron, rhododendron, sweet pea, black nightshade, foxglove, oleander, castor bean, vetch, henbane, irises, lantana, St. john's wort, trumpets vine, morning glory, datura, clematis and honeysuckle. If any of the herbs you are wondering about are not listed in this book, look them up before giving to your flock.

Leaves from Tomato, Pepper, Potato, Eggplant or Nightshade Plants

Onions-Onions contain a substance called “thiosulphate” which will kill red blood cells, cause anemia and sometimes even result in death.

Potatoes-Surprisingly, potatoes contain solanine which causes diarrhea, heart failure and kills red blood cells. However, sweet potatoes do not contain this substance and are perfectly fine and dandy to feed to your flock. Sweet potato fries are also fine as long as they aren’t salted.

Processed Foods and Sweets

Raw, Dry Beans

Raw Peanuts and Other Nuts

Rhubarb leaves-Rhubarb leaves surprisingly contain oxalic acid which is poisonous to chickens.

Tobacco
Really anything else can be given as a treat. Treats are only supposed to take up 10% of their daily diet though.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Good luck with your flock and we are here to help.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have been given some great advice on the treats here! My birds eat just about anything I do. LOL But just be careful of the things they should not eat.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom