new to the farm

LordUria

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
My name is Thomas and I currently live in Summerville sc. I have just started a small experimental farm at my parents house to go along with my college studies. I have started out with 16 chick this spring but do to predation, and one very hurt rooster, I am down to just 7. My girlfriend decided to name them all so ill post profiles of my flock at a later date. While studding horticulture technologies I stated to gain more interest in the full effect of nature and all species, be they plants, fish, birds, or animals. I hope to raise more animals in the coming years as part of my research of creating a fully functional, low input, self-sustaining micro ecosystem.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great to have you join us!! Good luck with your flock and studies!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Your studies sound exciting. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

I have 4 Plymouth rocks, 1 Rhode island red, 1 white leghorn, 1 buff orpington

The predators only attacked when they were out of the run free ranging. since then the roosters have matured and been very protective of the others, almost like a chicken army convoy. Even saw the largest rooster, Arsenal, actually took down one of the hawks that tried.

I have 4 Plymouth rocks, 1 Rhode island red, 1 white leghorn, 1 buff orpington

You have a nice mix of good dual purpose breeds. Of course the White Leghorn doesn't fit that description, but they are egg laying machines. I've had all of those breeds at one time or another, and still have some Buff Orpingtons in my flock. I love their beautiful feathers, and friendly, gentle temperament. My children, and now my granddaughter made lap pets out of ours. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom