New to the flock

We live in southwest North Dakota in a town of about 250. I've wanted chickens since we moved here 12 years ago. Until recently we were not allowed to have them, even though it's not even a town, more of a village with a bar and part-time post office.
Anyway, we will be allowed to have 3-6 chickens, no other types of birds. We have about a 1/2 acre, fully fenced. We plan to build a chicken tractor style of coop with enclosed run. We want to be able to move them around the yard and keep them away from our dogs and cats.
We want them for eggs and pets. When they are ready for the stew pot we will sell them to someone who can dispatch them.
I'd love to know what others in cold climates do to keep their birds warm in winter. That's my biggest concern.
Helo :) :welcome

Don't quote me on this but I've been told that they adapt too the cold as long as they have ventilation but no drafts. Their shared body warmth must help

I've ventilated at the top of my coop and their run, which is below is covered for the winter. I've placed their coop by a wall I think will help with the winds that we get here, which are clased as severe being on a mountain.

1635200939775.png

Back
Top Bottom