new to the flock

Shireshome

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Hello to BYC
frow.gif

I have been visiting here for a few years now so, I decided to join. I have had chickens on and off for 20 years but haven’t had any in a few years due to being trapped in the city.

The first chickens I had were 20 BO hens 1 RIR hen and 3 black hens (I don't know what they were).
We also had ducks at the time and later we got some African geese
Once all these birds stopped laying we decided to go with just 5 chickens 1 RIR hen, 3 BR hens and our first ever rooster BR. He was a neat roo.
After I was married my husband and I started our zoo
wink.png
of birds haha. We had all kinds of mutts from the feed store also turkeys, 25 Cx, ducks, peafowl, and of course silkies.

Right now we are still without chickens except for the cyber chickens I have adopted from here.
In one way I am glad to have been without chickens, at least until I found this site, because it has really helped me to learn about and appreciate certain breeds. I have received tons of knowledge from actual owners. It is very different when one reads a brief description in the hatchery catalogue as opposed to reading a thread by someone who owns the breed. I have also decided which breeds best fit our family. For some this might not seem like a very important thing, one can always try a few different breeds and go from there right? It sounds good in theory but I have a little problem and that is, if I don't know exactlly what I am looking for when I go chicken shopping I will end up with 200 birds and a different breed for all of them because my husband sees little fluffy balls and wants to and WILL buy them all!
wee.gif

Anyway, I love the site and will be posting more, including a journal when the big day come that we finally get out of the dreadful city and back into the country. BTW: I have never lived in a city until these last two years and yikes do I hate it!

Back
Top Bottom