New to the FORUM

Jnicholson

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Hi I have been on here before and used the Coop pictures to help me build mine. We have decided to get into Chickens on our ranch we have never had a live chicken so it is a new adventure for us and our kids. Our hens finally started laying just a few weeks ago and now we have decided to up our flock I am pushing for over 100 chickens by the end of summer so now I am on her again looking to build a new coop bigger then the last then and its 10X12X8. I also built a incubator out of a mini fridge and hatched our first batch just a few weeks ago. So any advice or Comments will help. We live in Northern California on a 430 acre ranch so room is not a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! You'll want minimum 3sq foot space per chicken in your coop, so you'll have to build a big one!

Hello and :welcome

Make sure your coop is secure if you've got predators in your area. Some people even use double layers of hardware cloth. :p
As for space, you'll have no problems. They say 4sq ft for coop space, and 10sq ft per chicken for run "roaming area" if you have it.

Don't hesitate to ask any quesitons you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

WelcometoBYC.gif

Back
Top Bottom