New to the group in Utah

nathanbrady3889

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
First post, just joined up. Been thinking about raising chickens for a couple years, doing research, and planning it out. Decided to just do it, so I used a chain link fence dog-run area in our backyard (that we hadn't used for the dog in five years) as a chicken run area. It is 16 by 8 feet. I built a custom chicken coop outside the fenced in area. The coop is 4 by 8 feet and 9 feet high and sits on the ground. 4 nesting boxes, lots of roosting space, three windows for ventilation. Next step was the chicks. I acquired 8 pullets in August (one brown leghorn, two white leghorns, one barred plymouth rock, one rhode island red, one buff orpington, one white naked neck, and one americauna). One of the white leghorns wasn't eating/gaining weight and died, despite all my efforts to help her out. So I went and bought four more and was careful to assimilate them into the original 7. After some hen picking and sorting, they now get along great. I added one more barred plymouth rock, a brown naked neck, a black jersey giant, and a brown leghorn. That's now 11 live and thriving ladies. We are averaging about 9 eggs a day and the boys love selling our extra eggs to neighbors and family. I gotta say, I'm loving these chickens. So much personality and spunk. Our dog has gotten used to them and loves to sit in the sun and just watch them as they forage around the yard. He'll chase off any doves or sparrows or other "flying" birds from our yard, but he knows not to bother the chickens. If he gets too close (trying to sniff them out of curiosity) he has learned that our rhode island red will peck him on the nose . . . . ha ha ha

Alt-WELCOME-farmer-connie-1.gif

Great introduction!

G’Day from down under Nathan…. :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

Thank you for sharing a great introduction :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or fur baby, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

First post, just joined up. Been thinking about raising chickens for a couple years, doing research, and planning it out. Decided to just do it, so I used a chain link fence dog-run area in our backyard (that we hadn't used for the dog in five years) as a chicken run area. It is 16 by 8 feet. I built a custom chicken coop outside the fenced in area. The coop is 4 by 8 feet and 9 feet high and sits on the ground. 4 nesting boxes, lots of roosting space, three windows for ventilation. Next step was the chicks. I acquired 8 pullets in August (one brown leghorn, two white leghorns, one barred plymouth rock, one rhode island red, one buff orpington, one white naked neck, and one americauna). One of the white leghorns wasn't eating/gaining weight and died, despite all my efforts to help her out. So I went and bought four more and was careful to assimilate them into the original 7. After some hen picking and sorting, they now get along great. I added one more barred plymouth rock, a brown naked neck, a black jersey giant, and a brown leghorn. That's now 11 live and thriving ladies. We are averaging about 9 eggs a day and the boys love selling our extra eggs to neighbors and family. I gotta say, I'm loving these chickens. So much personality and spunk. Our dog has gotten used to them and loves to sit in the sun and just watch them as they forage around the yard. He'll chase off any doves or sparrows or other "flying" birds from our yard, but he knows not to bother the chickens. If he gets too close (trying to sniff them out of curiosity) he has learned that our rhode island red will peck him on the nose . . . . ha ha ha
Welcome to BYC Nathan. Nice to meet you. From Northern Ontario

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Back
Top Bottom