New to the group need suggestions

Skart40

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2020
Well I got 10 chickens, layers, I also have a 80’x60’ barn that I keep super nice. I would like to keep the chicken coop in the barn and have a little run inside built too. It’s all concrete. Then when the weather is nicer(since it winter months) allow them to free range. My wife likes to have holiday gatherings inside our barn as well and is opposed to this idea. She says it will be smelly and noisy. My question to the group is should I keep the coop outside or does everyone think the barn is big enough to house chickens and gatherings

If it’s a matter of you thinking that they should be in the barn during cold weather (please correct me if I misunderstood), then I would say put the coop outside. Chickens evolved over many many years to be outdoor animals, and they do just fine in the elements as long as they have a well ventilated, dry coop to go inside of. No need for heat either; I have family with chickens in upstate NY and their chickens do just fine. The other thing I would ask is.... do you want to stay married??? Then def keep the coop outside of the barn lol 😂
And she is correct ... it would be smelly and noisy.

Well I got 10 chickens, layers, I also have a 80’x60’ barn that I keep super nice. I would like to keep the chicken coop in the barn and have a little run inside built too. It’s all concrete. Then when the weather is nicer(since it winter months) allow them to free range. My wife likes to have holiday gatherings inside our barn as well and is opposed to this idea. She says it will be smelly and noisy. My question to the group is should I keep the coop outside or does everyone think the barn is big enough to house chickens and gatherings
1606528678036.jpg

Welcome to BYC! While I think that putting the coop in the barn wouldn't interfere with gatherings TOO much if you found a way to make sort of seperate from the main barn, it would take up quite a bit of space (150 sq ft at minimum) and the chickens will be happier outdoors. Keep the barn and coop where they are and everyone will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom