New to the site...fox attack

SabrinaD311

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site but not new to chickens. I've had them myself for a few years and my parents raised them growing up.
I just need some help. My husband luckily was home yesterday and heard one of my hens scream. He ran out to see what was going on and a fox had her in his mouth. He tried to run off with her but we chased him and he finally dropped her...she tumbled a few times but then got up and ran to me. She lost a lot of feathers and has to puncture wounds on the top of her back almost under her wing. I cleaned it out really good and got the bleeding to stop. Also put some silver sulfadiazine cream on the wounds. She seems to be doing really well. My concern is this morning she is all spunky and excited and when I went to put her in our outdoor hospital cage so she could see her sisters she seems to have some gargling when she takes a breath. Did the fozoo puncture a lung? What are your thoughts?

This does not answer your question, but want to let you know that the fox may be back. The fox will be discouraged that he wasn't successful, but I would put (and we do have) some electric wire around their enclosure/foraging area so he gets a zip on the nose next time.

This time of year they will hunt during the day, and what I did last year, before we had all of the electric done, was put a radio on when the birds are out.

This does not answer your question, but want to let you know that the fox may be back. The fox will be discouraged that he wasn't successful, but I would put (and we do have) some electric wire around their enclosure/foraging area so he gets a zip on the nose next time.

This time of year they will hunt during the day, and what I did last year, before we had all of the electric done, was put a radio on when the birds are out.
My birds free range most of the day. I'm in the process of building a copper and making a run for them just to protect them. I feel bad they won't have their freedom anymore but it's more important to keep them safe. I now am onlyour allowing them to be out when I am out with them and make them go back in the barn if I need to leave or do something where I can't keep an eye on them. They are pretty spoiled and follow me around when I'm outside so I hope I can keep the ones I have left safe until I get the new coop and run finished. Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate. I'm going to try the radio! =)

Also is there a possibility of rabies? How would I know?

Birds cannot contract or carry rabies. It is a disease exclusive to mammals.

The gurgling may be from some crushing trauma that causes internal bleeding (not always punctures) that tends to get worse the first 24 -48 hours after the injury. It should slowly get better. If you are really worried a trip to the vet for an exam and x-ray would help see what is going on better.

Thank you so much! I had someone else mention rabies so I just wanted another opinion. I appreciate your feedback! She seems to be doing really well and the gurgling isn't all the time. It's gotten better since this morning. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom