New to the whole hatching egg thing! Got questions

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
Ok, I don't mean to sound dumb, I know nothing about hatching eggs, nothing!
If I have say 4 chickens that lay, and I want to hatch out eggs, can I only do those 4 that I collect that day?
What about If I wanted to sell hatching eggs? Would I need 12 hens laying on the same day?
What if I bought hatching eggs that are mailed to me? Will the incubator time change?

I'm sorry these questions are kinda dumb, but I really have no clue, and want to learn everything I can.
Thanks In Advance!
smile.png

Shipped eggs still take the same 21 days to hatch.

Shipped eggs are usually collected for 3 days or less.

Eggs collected at home are usually collected for 7 days or less but up to 14 days is ok.

All the eggs go in at the same time an will hatch 21 days after that point.

gonzo&hispeeps :

Ok, I don't mean to sound dumb, I know nothing about hatching eggs, nothing!
If I have say 4 chickens that lay, and I want to hatch out eggs, can I only do those 4 that I collect that day?
What about If I wanted to sell hatching eggs? Would I need 12 hens laying on the same day?
What if I bought hatching eggs that are mailed to me? Will the incubator time change?

I'm sorry these questions are kinda dumb, but I really have no clue, and want to learn everything I can.
Thanks In Advance!
smile.png

Ooooh! I'm so glad you asked all of these questions! They're not dumb! They're GREAT!! Because I'm new to this whole thing too. And I wanna know, just like you, what to do, and what not to do.

SO, if you don't mind, may I add some of my own "dumb" questions here. Maybe between the two of us Gonzo, we'll ask all the right questions. After all, lives will be hanging in the balance!
big_smile.png

My first question is: To wash or not to wash. It seems to me I've almost always read that one does NOT wash the eggs prior to placing in the bator. But, like every rule, there seems to be exceptions. I've noticed a few members around here who advocate the gentle wiping off of any excrement on the egg. So, which is it? Wipe or don't wipe?

Next: I don't have a roo, but my neighbor down the street does. She also has the various breeds that I'd like to add to my flock. Rebelcowboysnb, you mentioned collecting for up to 7 days of the eggs you'd like to hatch. At what temperature does one store the eggs prior to placing them in the bator? Is there a point that is too low? Like in the refrigerator? Or too warm, as in room temperature (72f)? So, what is the ideal temperature to store the eggs until I have enough for a batch to hatch!?

I still need to get a hygrometer. Cynthia (Speckledhen) has already given me excellent instructions on how to calibrate it once I do have my hands on one. Does anybody have a particular make and model in mind that will fit into my LG bator that they feel is the very best for the money? What is the average price one would expect to pay for such an item and where is the best place to buy one? I've already hit three of the feed and farm stores in town and none of them had one. It's looking more and more like I might have to find one online.
sad.png
I'd really like to put my hands on one before I buy it so I know what I'm getting. So, anyone in the Spokane Washington area who has advice on where to go for that, I'd be very happy to hear it!

I did notice a candling light in Aslin Finch the other day while I was shopping for the hygrometer. They wanted about $20 for it I think was the price. How critical is this? Do I really need to spend $20 on a candling light, or will a home made job do the trick just as well?

I have a ton more questions, but not the time right now. So, any answers to those will be a great start for me. Thanks for letting me horn in on your thread Gonzo!
wink.png
Yeah right! Like you had a choice in the matter, huh?
lau.gif

Before you panic, go up to the very top of this page and go to the Learning Center, loads of info for you to have right at hand. You will enjoy hatching your own eggs and the key word is ENJOY ..don't stress over it.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Ooooh! I'm so glad you asked all of these questions! They're not dumb! They're GREAT!! Because I'm new to this whole thing too. And I wanna know, just like you, what to do, and what not to do.

SO, if you don't mind, may I add some of my own "dumb" questions here. Maybe between the two of us Gonzo, we'll ask all the right questions. After all, lives will be hanging in the balance!
big_smile.png

My first question is: To wash or not to wash. It seems to me I've almost always read that one does NOT wash the eggs prior to placing in the bator. But, like every rule, there seems to be exceptions. I've noticed a few members around here who advocate the gentle wiping off of any excrement on the egg. So, which is it? Wipe or don't wipe?

Next: I don't have a roo, but my neighbor down the street does. She also has the various breeds that I'd like to add to my flock. Rebelcowboysnb, you mentioned collecting for up to 7 days of the eggs you'd like to hatch. At what temperature does one store the eggs prior to placing them in the bator? Is there a point that is too low? Like in the refrigerator? Or too warm, as in room temperature (72f)? So, what is the ideal temperature to store the eggs until I have enough for a batch to hatch!?

I still need to get a hygrometer. Cynthia (Speckledhen) has already given me excellent instructions on how to calibrate it once I do have my hands on one. Does anybody have a particular make and model in mind that will fit into my LG bator that they feel is the very best for the money? What is the average price one would expect to pay for such an item and where is the best place to buy one? I've already hit three of the feed and farm stores in town and none of them had one. It's looking more and more like I might have to find one online.
sad.png
I'd really like to put my hands on one before I buy it so I know what I'm getting. So, anyone in the Spokane Washington area who has advice on where to go for that, I'd be very happy to hear it!

I did notice a candling light in Aslin Finch the other day while I was shopping for the hygrometer. They wanted about $20 for it I think was the price. How critical is this? Do I really need to spend $20 on a candling light, or will a home made job do the trick just as well?

I have a ton more questions, but not the time right now. So, any answers to those will be a great start for me. Thanks for letting me horn in on your thread Gonzo!
wink.png
Yeah right! Like you had a choice in the matter, huh?
lau.gif

To answer two of your questions, you can get a good hygrometer at walmart for about 7-8.00. For the candling I used a box over a small lamp. I just cut a hole about the size of a quarter or a little bigger and it works real good.
Hope that helped.
By the way, the only dumb questrion is the one not asked.
We all had to start somewhere to learn.
Good luck on your hatces.

Quote:
My 2 cents worth while I sit waiting fir zippy to pop and Pippy to zip.
lol.png

1] Best not to clean the eggs. If grossly dirty and you can't stand a bit if dried poo, lightly sand or chip off thick patches.

2] If your neighbor will share eggs, great! Does she keep her breeds in separate breeding pens so they are pure? If not, her eggs will probably be crosses. Do you care?

3] Ideal temp for storing: 50 - 55*F, 45 -60 OK. Room temperature -coolest room in house better than refrigerator, but probably need to pop into bator sooner rather than later. Best NOT to refrigerate, but refrigerated eggs do sometimes hatch. Talking 'best case scenario here
wink.png

4] Hygrometers. I have four. The most expensive one I tossed because it was off by 17% and it's thermometer was off by +/- 8* when calibrated by Cynthia's method and with a medical thermometer. The best ones [within 3%] were the cheapest. My favorite is the one I found at PetSmart for $6.99. It is about the size around of a silver $, sits in an egg cup of my turner. I orient it so that the arrow points straight up at where-ever I want my humidity to average [ie, 40% is at 12 o'clock] so that I don't have to get my reading glasses out to check it. At lockdown I put itin a cup of my egg carton, oriented so that 55% is at 12 o'clock.

5] I found a 20 LED bulb flashlight that fits in my fist w/ thumb and forefinger cupped over the end. Provides brilliant cool light that will shine thru a med-dk egg. I paid $6.99 for it at a discount hardware store.

Have a blessed chicken enhanced life
love.gif
Gotta go check on my pip N zip!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom