New to the world of chickens

andyca

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
Iron Mountain, Michigan
Hi, my name is Andy. I was born and raise in nyc, a couple of years ago I moved to upper Michigan. Last spring I made a trip to tractor supply and they had chicks. I wanted to take a few home but didn't want to jump in without doing some research. After visiting this site daily and learning as much as possible, finally got 10 days old buff Orpingtons.

I was planing on building my own coop, but bought a shed and turn it into a chicken coop. At the moment I have a dog kennel attach to the coop, next spring I will build a chicken run with hardware cloth.

A few weeks ago I got a jubilee orpington rooster. Next spring I plan to get more jubilees. For some reason orpingtons are my favorite chicken breed.

I finally got my fist egg last week. Only one of my hens is laying. I don't have a heat lamp or supplementary light inside the coop. Plan on letting my chickens rest during the winter.

My chickens are free range during the day and locked at night. Have about 5 acres but they stay close to the house.

I finally decided to create and account and be part of the community. Everything's been so easy on my journey with chickens, thanks to this site.

Hi :welcome Andy

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like your chicken adventures are coming along nicely for you there. I too don't add light in winter so my hens can have rest and a good moult. I like to think this helps them be already prepared for the spring.

Wishing you the very best of luck with them all in the future.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us. And congrats on your new flock.

I love the Orps. They do seem to take longer to start laying. The first year they will likely lay thru the winter - mine did.

Good luck in your new adventure.

I'm new on here just got an account. I had chickens up to age 16 then my grama past away an our farm got sold..now in my 40s I got married an bought a house an thankfully our house is in an agricultural village.. Woohoo!! Now my question since I live in the middle of NewYork yes it get cold..we just starting our winter, need suggestions on cold hardy an good laying hens..not sure if we want rooster, Iwant our new neighborhood to like us..I think the ones with feathers on feet an poofy cheeks are adorable. I will consider any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom