New to this all!!!

montcapu

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
laingsburg, MI
hi everyone,
we recently moved to country and my kids (ok, actually me) wanted farm animals, and we are starting with chickens, I pick up my first hatchlings tommorrow, and I was wondering is there any tips to help out, I have not done this in years, I read all info on this site (which is the best my far... ) but was wondering what else I should expect
thanks
angela

Welcome!

When I started, I did tons of research and I didn't know about this site. I went really overboard because it seemed that everything could harm chicks and I was afraid I'd off them by doing something dumb. Turns out, it only boils down to a few things: Keep them warm, dry, clean, feed only chick starter, use paper towels for bedding until they begin to shred/eat them, then switch to pine shavings. Give them enough space and clean water at all times (dip their beaks in it & tilt back a few times if they don't seem to get it. Keep them protected from all other pets and supervise children with them.
This will get you to about 90%. For the other 10%, come here for advice, the people here really know their stuff and are super helpful. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
You will find all the information you may ever need on this site. And it nice to meet you my name is the same as yours.

welcome hope you enjoy it here.your doing good your doing alot of reading an learning here.since youve raised chickens before.itll asll come back to you in time.

THANKS... I have been reading all on this site and I am happy with all the info that this site does offer... I got my first 4 chicks today (bantams) and I can not wait till they get older so I can add more... my plan is to get use to raising them and add more as I go
angela

Back
Top Bottom