New to this all!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by montcapu, Apr 22, 2008.

  1. montcapu

    montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

    614
    0
    149
    Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    hi everyone,
    we recently moved to country and my kids (ok, actually me) wanted farm animals, and we are starting with chickens, I pick up my first hatchlings tommorrow, and I was wondering is there any tips to help out, I have not done this in years, I read all info on this site (which is the best my far... ) but was wondering what else I should expect
    thanks
    angela
     
  2. meriruka

    meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 18, 2007
    Welcome!

    When I started, I did tons of research and I didn't know about this site. I went really overboard because it seemed that everything could harm chicks and I was afraid I'd off them by doing something dumb. Turns out, it only boils down to a few things: Keep them warm, dry, clean, feed only chick starter, use paper towels for bedding until they begin to shred/eat them, then switch to pine shavings. Give them enough space and clean water at all times (dip their beaks in it & tilt back a few times if they don't seem to get it. Keep them protected from all other pets and supervise children with them.
    This will get you to about 90%. For the other 10%, come here for advice, the people here really know their stuff and are super helpful. Good luck!
     
  3. Acre of Blessings

    Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

    Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] You will find all the information you may ever need on this site. And it nice to meet you my name is the same as yours.
     
  4. wynedot55

    wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 28, 2007
    welcome hope you enjoy it here.your doing good your doing alot of reading an learning here.since youve raised chickens before.itll asll come back to you in time.
     
  5. montcapu

    montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

    614
    0
    149
    Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    THANKS... I have been reading all on this site and I am happy with all the info that this site does offer... I got my first 4 chicks today (bantams) and I can not wait till they get older so I can add more... my plan is to get use to raising them and add more as I go
    angela
     
  6. HorseFeathers

    HorseFeathers Frazzled

    4,719
    10
    241
    Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]

    post some pics of your chicks!!!
     
  7. ChicknThief

    ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    We will have you hooked in no time [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by