1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to this!! Anyone ever had a wrinkled egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rrchickenman, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rrchickenman

rrchickenman New Egg

Nov 4, 2008
    I am brand spanking new to the chicken world but recently got some white leghorns. they were 7 months old when I got them (at least thats what I was told). I babied them and within the first few days they were giving me eggs. Ive only had them a couple of weeks but one of the eggs today looked as if it had wrinkles or creases in the shell. any idea what this could mean?:[

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    beats me what causes it but I get a few every year from new hens.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are they soft shelled eggs?

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    yeah i get those every now and again..........they are still edible, but frrding them oyster shell helps

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I just read in back yard poultry magazine that it happens when the eggs crack before it hardens completely. problems can come from just being a new hen or disease or lack of calcium , hereditary defect, too much phosphorus . The disease mentioned is infectious bronchitis. If she is healthy looking like the others said increase the calcium and decrease other snacks for a while.
    Jean

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yes I have had a couple last month they look like LARGE raisins but a lovely brown colour....going to try to blow them out for keepsakes....

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Welcome! You will love it here. [​IMG] Since you just got them at 7 months, you probably don't know what their diet was before you got them. I bet they just need a little oyster shell. You can get it at any feed store. I add some in with their feed or you can offer it on the side in bowl and they will take what they need.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wrinkled eggs can also be the result of a bout with Infectious Bronchitis. It affects the reproductive system, though it's a respiratory illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by