new to this chicken thing.... NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckman11032, May 1, 2009.

1. duckman11032

duckman11032 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    hey guys I am a duck raiser who took it to a different level today I bought 3 rhode island reds and a other layer chickens

I have raised birds before, but when do they start laying eggs???

I have herd about 6 months old, and after that they lay 1 egg a day

anyways I have some rhode island reds and barred rock

let me know

any help is great!!!

thanks

michael

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hiya!

My Barred Rocks all started around 18 weeks, and I get between 4 and 6 eggs a day with 6 of them. I know Reds are a little better about an egg every day, but I think you'll usually get 4 or 5 eggs a week from either breed.

I LOVE my Barred Rocks, and I'm sure you will, too.

If your birds are already grown, you can expect them to wait a bit to settle in with you before laying- maybe a couple weeks.

If they're younger, you'll see your first eggs around 6 months.

Welcome back to the chicken addiction! Once a chicken addict, always a chicken addict!!

[​IMG]

3. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

[​IMG]

4. duckman11032

duckman11032 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    ya im new to it..... and excited....

I have 5 total chickens
    they are about 3 weeks old

so I am looking at 6 months

I have 2 barred rock and 3 rhode island reds

michael

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's just such a great hobby. I have 2 BR and 3 RIR and 37 other chickens now!

6. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
    I have a silver laced wyandotte and a golden buff, both started laying after roughly 4 months of age, and I get 1 egg/day from each of them typically. The golden buff produced large-extra large eggs almost every single day...maybe once/month she misses a day. The SLW lays 5-6 medium eggs/week, not bad at all.

I think it is breed dependent; golden buffs, according to the catalog I ordered the girls from, are the top brown egg layers, and SLWs are considered to be excellent layers as well...both breeds are also cold/very cold hardy and they laid eggs throughout winter.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken owning! [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got an RIR who laid her first egg around 7 months of old. That's a bit late for this breed, but it was December. She's been a faithful layer ever since, laying about 5-6 eggs/week.

Our barred rock was a sweetie. She, too, started laying in December. She laid big, gorgeous eggs for a few weeks. We didn't know it but she was sick. She eventually died and we were heart-broken. We loved the BR personality so much that we just added another to our flock. The newbie chick is a week old and is already taken upon herself to try to get out of the brooder on her own as soon as possible. I think she'll make it in another few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by