New to this forum, but raising hens 7 years

HomegrownCaSW

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Hi all. Like may subject mentions, I am new to this forum but have been raising hens for several years. Started out buying some Cornish Rock straight runs for my son's science project. My husband got over zealous on the quantity and bought too many. We slaughtered many, (put them into the freezer) and lost many, because they could not deal with our triple digit heat. Next we tried Rhode Island Reds, Silver Wyandottes, Buff Orphington's, etc. but none worked out due to the heat. After fifteen different varieties, finally, I think if you want to raise chickens in the desert southwest, where the temps get to triple digits, I recommend the Buff Minorca (leghorn) the Anconas( leghorns) and the Single Breasted Rose Leghorn. See my other comments for what you need to keep them alive in 100+ temps.

How wonderful you will be able to add your special experience to this forum. I live in rainy climate myself, but with as many members as there are, I'm sure a lot of people will want to know about the chickens that do well in extreme heat.

We have had I think about 5 or six triple digit days in the 15 years we have lived in Washington State. But everywhere has to deal with something, right?

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas
We have triple digit temps here also, but we are looking into installing a solar powered caged ceiling fan in the coop. The roof is 8 ft up so there's room to install 1.
Nice to meet you

Thank you for responding to my new online message. I wouldn't know how it may be like to raise hens in a rainy climate or a wintery one. All I can help people with is a hot, sometimes humid desert climate, and what kind of hens cans survive that. Thank you for responding. I appreciate another chicken owner voice.
Quote:

It took me and my husband a few years to figure out what would best work for our hens. The first 3 years, we slaughtered our hens when the temperatures got hot. If we didn't the temperatures took them. At that time we were also raising duel birds like Buff Orphingtons and Rhode Island Reds. Now we raise leghorns. After 7 years of trial and error with birds and hen house designs we discovered. #1 Hen house #2 Fenced and enclosed yard #3 Misting system for enclosed yard #4 Fan and ventilation for the Hen house. Our hen house for about 21 hens is 8X12 and you can walk into it. Same with the 16x12, fully chicken wired yard. We have had hawks fly down to attack our hens and California condors, but since we have it fully enclosed they have not had any success.

Kat's Silly Chickens :

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas
We have triple digit temps here also, but we are looking into installing a solar powered caged ceiling fan in the coop. The roof is 8 ft up so there's room to install 1.
Nice to meet you​

That sounds great. Nice to meet you too. What kind of birds work there in Texas?
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom