New to this

I added some more water this morning to raise the humidity. It's was around 45 this morning. I'm getting disappointed

I added some more water this morning to raise the humidity. It's was around 45 this morning. I'm getting disappointed
You want to keep the humidity up. If it's been externally pipped for that amount of time with no progress, I would intervene. I don't let mine go over 24 hours w/o at least starting an assist so that I can assess the position of the chick and make sure that it can progress.

So do I help by gently cracking the shell??
When I assist I get some q-tips water and tweezers. I wet the q tip and moisten the membranes then I proceed by chipping just the shell away and moistening the membrane. If the membrane is free of prominent veining I will pull that aside as well. I will make a zip around the egg, continuing to moisten the membrane and pulling it back as long as there is no veining. At the first sight of veining or blood, I moisten the spot and return them to the bator and give them time to progress on it's own. Many times they can progress on their own after the initial help. Sometimes a complete assist is needed. 3 days after an external pip I would not expect to see veining.

Last edited:
So do I help by gently cracking the shell??

Do you see any progression? If so leave the incubator closed to keep humidity high. If not, X 2 on amy.....post. If they have started to zip you would have a good chance of assisted hatch working. Carefully remove the rounded end; membrane too-if it is bloodless. If there is blood the eggs are not ready to hatch and do not break any more shell away. It is best if the chicks break free of the shell on their own.

Ok got home and took a look. Did as you said. The egg came right off the membrane. I moisten the membrane up some and placed it back in the Bator. Looks like the chick is very strong.

I guess my mistake somewhere down the process was the humidity was not high enough.

Lesson learned

Chicks did not make it
sad.png
None?
sad.png
Sorry to hear that.

Back
Top Bottom