New to this!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stevielynn, Aug 5, 2014.

1. stevielynn

stevielynn New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    I am basically rescuing these beautiful girls from a home who does not want them, doesn't take care of them what so ever and was wondering "why they wouldn't die." It absolutely broke my heart. They are just so sweet! I was just wondering what I could do to help them get used to a new home and what breed they were? I've taken care of chickens at my barn before but never had my own! [​IMG]

2. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    First I want to say [​IMG].
    Make sure you teach them to come to you because you mean good things you can teach them this by calling here chicke chike and throw food behind you. Give them a lot of attention and feed them a lot. Spend at least an hour a day with them ( spread that hour around) and make their coop as comfortable as possible spread clean hay or straw across it and have a lot of water at all times. Pretty soon your chickens will follow you everywhere good luck.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    They look like buff brahmas and wow they are beautiful! They might like some treats like grass clippings or bread but I'd say they'll be a lot happier than they were no matter what!

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Beautiful girls! That's so sweet of you to take them in! They look like Brahmas to me too.

5. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    [​IMG]Welcome from Georgia!! Those are Brahmas, a very desirable breed, and they look pretty darn healthy for neglected chickens. It is amazing how well chickens can do under bad circumstances. They are gorgeous!![​IMG] They will adjust to their new home very well, just provide them with a clean secure coop, food, clean water, and lots of love and they will be just fine.

6. stevielynn

stevielynn New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Thank you! I went to see them today for the first time and they had no food or water I started to cry. I hand fed them and I think they are already starting to love me! One girl even let me pick her up! What do you all suggest for water sources? [​IMG]

7. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    There are a lot of options for watering. I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples installed in the bottom. This works well for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by