New to tie cords

hillbilly91

Free Ranging
8 Years
Jan 2, 2016
Westminster sc
Alright so i got 3 tie cords today and im wanting to know everyones thoughts about roosters on tie cords. I have a law gray that has always been free range untill a few days ago when he was put into a pen. Now i have the tie cords. When i first put him on it he ran to the end and just layed down with the cord and his leg stretched. He is only 7months old. What can i do to help him? I put him back in a pen untill i get some thoughts. Also if i turn his hen out will she stay around him?

The guy i got him from had plenty of land to have him free range untill he caught him and put him in a pen.

Yep but why do YOU want to put him on the cord? Do you not have a run attached to your coop? Are you worried he will run off? As long as you give them plenty of time to get used to their new home coop most birds will happily wander a yard then go back to the coop at night. What is your setup that you need to tie cord him?

Tie cords can work, but there can be complications and many risks...
.....like predators and other cockbirds free ranging that the tied bird can't get away from if needed.
No doubt it takes some 'training' and time for a bird to get used to being tied.

They are often identified with the cockfighting realm so are poopooed.
You probably won't find many here at BYC who use them.

Try out this search I did for you:
advanced search>titles only>tie cords

All my pens are full and have roosters already in them and i dont want them to fight. So i have him and a hen in a 3x3 right now

Give him a few hours to adjust. Part of problem he is scared of you. Let him get used to the perimeter defined by the tie cord.

There is a process I use to calm them prior to tying out so they come to you rather than try to get away. Also make very certain you have good predator management. Mine are tied out only within a good fence perimeter where birds can roost without being in line-of-sight for an owl.

When I first confine a young / new bird the first thing it to tame it. It is isolated from other birds that are flighty. Then I begin feeding it small amounts of a treat by approaching pen or tie cord perimeter and placing treat on ground then walking away slowly. Initially do not look directly at bird. It does not take long for the average bird to figure out you are not only not a threat, you are safe enough to approach. Ideally you get bird to not only approach you but also eat from your hand. I like to do this in a small pen that is elevated at chest level where the pen in an area with subdued light. Start process on a Saturday morning. Once bird begins to feed with you in close proximity, then start briefly touching him with the back of your hand. You want to get him so he allows you to push his side without getting upset. Then work on picking him up. Once the picking up part realized then affix him to the tie cord. There will be some backsliding as he will get skittish with new arrangement so you restart the use of treats again getting him to approach you. Be careful not to startle or otherwise treat roughly as that can set stage for aggression against you later.

Back
Top Bottom