new to turkeys and have some questions about a sick one

chickfamily

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I just bought my first turkeys this morning from my feed store and when I got them home I hadn't even gotten them out of the box and one of them was showing signs of being sick. so, i took the two healthy ones out and kept the sick one in the box and put a heat lamp over it and it started breathing a little better but still wouldn't stand up and when trying to make it stand it would just roll over on its side. poor thing had no control over his own body at all. I tried giving it some food and water but it couldn't even control its own head. I put him back in the box to rest and 8 hrs later he passed away..... my question is did I do something wrong? could i have prevented it? if my other 2 shows signs of this what can I do? or is there something i need to do for my other two now? they are eating and drinking really good but won't stop chirping, I haven't even seen them rest all day!

Thanks! :)

eating & chirping all the time are good signs that they are healthy. that one chicken that died it could've been too cold & gotten pneumonia or there might've just been a growth problem, other than that i'm not exactly sure. feed them medicated food & they should be pretty healthy...
I hope I helped at least some...

thank you... i am so confused though about feed cuz my feed store called his supplier and they said medicated feed will kill turkeys and the feed store i bought them at also said the same thing.... is there a medicated feed they can have?

Back
Top Bottom