new to turkeys need help

TurkeyBreeders

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
im new to raising turkeys and have a few questions i have one bourbon red hen and tom and a black spanish hen
1. why do my hens fight?
2. what is something big enough they can lay eggs in?
3. how old will they be before breeding? they are all about 10 months old

1. My hens do not fight with one another, but they do fight with the tom, and with the roosters. I can't really answer that one for you much.. Just that my hens are more aggressive to other birds than my tom is.

2. I have not had them lay yet. So can't answer that one.

3. My Royal Palms have mated twice in front of me, and they are 6 months old.

my two turkey hens fought a bit but then after a while they just stopped. my turkey is almost a year and still hasn't laid, they do lay in the spring though when they are a little older than a year i think and i think it also takes a year for them to breed.

my two turkey hens fought a bit but then after a while they just stopped. my turkey is almost a year and still hasn't laid, they do lay in the spring though when they are a little older than a year i think and i think it also takes a year for them to breed.
thank you

im new to raising turkeys and have a few questions i have one bourbon red hen and tom and a black spanish hen
1. why do my hens fight?

I have no clue, but mine fight if one has been away from the group for awhile. One hen like to fight certain roosters, too.

2. what is something big enough they can lay eggs in?

Mine laid in large dog crates.

3. how old will they be before breeding? they are all about 10 months old

My BBW hens started to squat for me, the way hens do for roosters, at about six months. I don't have a tom.
sad.png

Hens will fight for the same reasons toms will. They need to let one another know who is boss. one will be top hen and the other will have to be second choice. If you have 2 toms you will have the toms fighting the same way but alittle more intense. No problem they will settle down. You can use like stated a large dog crate or large dog house, it is easy to build. Turkey hens breed seasonally. Usually spring and sometimes (not the usual time) fall.No matter how old they are you typically wont see your first eggs until spring.

Hens will fight for the same reasons toms will. They need to let one another know who is boss. one will be top hen and the other will have to be second choice. If you have 2 toms you will have the toms fighting the same way but alittle more intense. No problem they will settle down. You can use like stated a large dog crate or large dog house, it is easy to build. Turkey hens breed seasonally. Usually spring and sometimes (not the usual time) fall.No matter how old they are you typically wont see your first eggs until spring.
My BBW's hatched this year in March, maybe April, and they started laying in the fall... They just stopped a couple of weeks ago. I understand that this is probably more the exception than the norm, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom