New to turkeys....what do I feed them?

I only have BBB turkeys so this might not apply to heritage birds like the ones you are getting but my guys grew way faster than the chicks and started stepping on them when they were eating, I split them up and a few weeks later I had one of the poults pull a chicks head through the wire and beat it up real bad. They are usually very friendly with all the chickens though, mine didn't purposely step on them obviously, they were just too focused on feeding. I think they only beat up the chick because he was stuck there and they thought he was trying to fight them. The BBBs are usually gentle giants though and they are so funny to watch. Again, I have no experience with heritage birds, I know they grow a lot slower than BBBs though and I would assume they would be less focused on food.

I am not sure if this applies to domestic or livestock turkeys but in hunting a baby turkey is called a poult, a yearling male is a jake, a yearling female is a jenny, a adult male is a tom or gobbler, and a adult female is a hen. Heritage birds rarely have leg problems if they are fed properly, even my BBBs have fine legs and roam very far, well far compared to my chickens, as I was typing this they came into the backyard, there is an apple tree in the corner of the yard that they discovered a few weeks ago and now they go to it daily.
39223036_275487716386001_7101994295296524288_n.jpg
The stepping on the other chicks is something specific to BB turkeys. Even the BB hens don't make great mothers because they cannot physically move their feet as delicately as can the heritage hens.

Alright, I think you may have told me about the bad mom thing before, I remember reading it somewhere now, oops. Well that was the only problem I have had with turkeys and chickens being together, well besides the one stuck chick but that was actually caused because I tried to split them apart.

Alright, I think you may have told me about the bad mom thing before, I remember reading it somewhere now, oops. Well that was the only problem I have had with turkeys and chickens being together, well besides the one stuck chick but that was actually caused because I tried to split them apart.
When they become juvenile delinquents and later when they are adults, turkeys can be very destructive to chickens. This doesn't mean they will, just that they can be. My worst problems are usually between roosters and adult turkey hens with the turkey hens usually being the instigators. Unfortunately when a turkey gets something in its mind it can be very difficult to convince the turkey to forget about it.

Turkey poults should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need. I feed mine a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter. It is recommended to feed the starter for 6 weeks and follow it with turkey or gamebird grower that is 24% protein and also contains the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

It is chick starter without the proper levels of lysine, methionine and especially niacin and thiamine that cause the leg problems.

Once they are adults they can be fed a quality all flock or even chicken feed that is at least 16% protein.

Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms are heritage turkeys (if fed properly) and do not have the issues that the broad breasted turkeys can have.
This not only isn't true but is bad advice. It is the lack of proper nutrients in chick starter that causes the leg problems.
So much information to take in! :) I truly appreciate it.

We've located non-GMO, 28% protein turkey starter, and are planning on going that route, as what's required for the poults' well-being is in our best interest.

Which leads to another question: there's going to be a Silkie in the order, which we were planning on raising with our turkeys. Would the specialized, protein-rich feed harm this little one? If so, adjustments will be made.

~Alex

Last edited:
Are these as pets or for dinner? I have turkeys as pets and just feed them chick starter when babies then a layer feed when older. If the are pets make sure not to over feed them and let them walk around a lot, if they eat to much they will get to the point where they no longer can walk.
If you are having them for dinner then feed then a game bird feed.
Their main purpose in life will be to provide us with companionship, so....pets. :) In that case, starter grower should sustain them sufficiently, I'm assuming. :D

Thank you for your reply!
~Alex

Honestly, as a new turkey mom to pets after twenty years with none I’ve gotten a ton of bad advice. And then I “met” @R2elk and @TurkeyTimes These two have been my lifeline. Along with @casportpony they are the only ones I go to with a problem. Heed the advice they give. IMHO, ignore the rest.(being feed mill and TSC self professed pros). You ususally get great advice here
Good to know who I can trust with any future (and I'm sure there'll be a lot, so be prepared! ;)) turkey questions that crop up. :D Some of the most knowledgeable, poultry-savvy folks in history grace this forum with their wisdom. :bow
I feed turkey starter to my chicken chicks, poults, and peachicks, so I think you'll be fine :D
Thanks for putting my mind at ease! :) Good to know everything will work out.
View attachment 1505963
This is an excellent chart
I'll say! Will definitely be referencing this in the future. :D Thank you!

~Alex

I only have BBB turkeys so this might not apply to heritage birds like the ones you are getting but my guys grew way faster than the chicks and started stepping on them when they were eating, I split them up and a few weeks later I had one of the poults pull a chicks head through the wire and beat it up real bad. They are usually very friendly with all the chickens though, mine didn't purposely step on them obviously, they were just too focused on feeding. I think they only beat up the chick because he was stuck there and they thought he was trying to fight them. The BBBs are usually gentle giants though and they are so funny to watch. Again, I have no experience with heritage birds, I know they grow a lot slower than BBBs though and I would assume they would be less focused on food.

I am not sure if this applies to domestic or livestock turkeys but in hunting a baby turkey is called a poult, a yearling male is a jake, a yearling female is a jenny, a adult male is a tom or gobbler, and a adult female is a hen. Heritage birds rarely have leg problems if they are fed properly, even my BBBs have fine legs and roam very far, well far compared to my chickens, as I was typing this they came into the backyard, there is an apple tree in the corner of the yard that they discovered a few weeks ago and now they go to it daily.
39223036_275487716386001_7101994295296524288_n.jpg

I've really enjoyed gleaning much-needed knowledge from these recent posts! Can't properly express my gratitude. :) Thanks to all!

Our first poults are doing great, as is the Silkie who accompanies them. :D Hopefully I'm not annoying anyone with endless questions, but here comes another! ;) The hatchery had kept these youngsters in a brooder for two weeks until they were spoken for. I'm assuming they received little to no socialization, due to the fact they shy away from hands very slightly. Are they too old to imprint on us?

We've been to hand feeding, and allowing them to perch on our shoulders. It seems there's a slight improvement since.

~Alex
I’m fairly certain I speak for most on this site when I say this- if one thing is for certain, it’s that “poultry people” LOVE talking about birds! So don’t worry about asking to many questions. If they got irritated from that, I would’ve been exiled long ago.

As for the poults- I never had any that weren’t freshly hatched, and I haven’t had any birds for twenty years prior to 2018, so I’m no pro here but I do believe it’s too late to imprint, as I understand imprinting, in its technical form, takes place immediately or shortly after hatching. Now bonding is an entirely different story. I do think with patience and time you’ll get there if you’re determined enough. I say this because of the many, many stories I’ve read where turkeys endured horrible things at the hands of humans at a commercial processing farm and in the case they get rescued they become sweet and bonded with humans regardless of their past human experiences. So it’s my novice belief that you stand a chance of getting them tame. A good chance. Turkeys inherently love people. It sounds like they have good and loving owners and I bet they will turn out to be sweethearts, attached to their humans.

My birds (going on 11 weeks) are VERY attached to me but shy away from everyone else- especially strangers. So there’s a chance you’ll run into this with them if you get them tame.

Back
Top Bottom