New to turkeys....what do I feed them?

I have turkeys as pets and just feed them chick starter when babies then a layer feed when older. If the are pets make sure not to over feed them and let them walk around a lot, if they eat to much they will get to the point where they no longer can walk.
This not only isn't true but is bad advice. It is the lack of proper nutrients in chick starter that causes the leg problems.

110% agree with r2elk. Poults need a much higher protein content than a generic chick starter. As well as having the proper vitamins. I start on a 28% gamebird starter then move to a 22-24% at around 7 weeks. Adult feed can drop even more especially if they're allowed to forage. I found a really good chart that I'll post later.

Hello, all! :D

I'm picking up my first poults tomorrow (a Bourbon Red and a Royal Palm), and I've heard mixed opinions as to what one should provide for feed. Am I alright with my usual organic starter grower, or do I need to search out a special type?

Thanks!

~Alex
Turkey poults should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need. I feed mine a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter. It is recommended to feed the starter for 6 weeks and follow it with turkey or gamebird grower that is 24% protein and also contains the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

It is chick starter without the proper levels of lysine, methionine and especially niacin and thiamine that cause the leg problems.

Once they are adults they can be fed a quality all flock or even chicken feed that is at least 16% protein.

Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms are heritage turkeys and if fed properly do not have the issues that the broad breasted turkeys can have.

Last edited:
Honestly, as a new turkey mom to pets after twenty years with none I’ve gotten a ton of bad advice. And then I “met” @R2elk and @TurkeyTimes These two have been my lifeline. Along with @casportpony they are the only ones I go to with a problem. Heed the advice they give. IMHO, ignore the rest.(being feed mill and TSC self professed pros). You ususally get great advice here

If you are feeding a balanced chick starter with natural foraging ground for your turkeys to forage until they are 16 weeks old then give them layer feed and enough room for them to forage they are fine! Turkeys have been around for ever and 100 years ago I have never read anywhere that farmer so and so went to the feed store to buy extra minerals and supplements to add to the turkey food. The people now days want growth for bigger meals, over feeding, more processed foods. I for one have my turkeys as pets not as food and they are doing great!
It is sad to see people now days just jump to insult people and try to get people to spend money on things not necessary.

Well I doubt you were around 100 years ago to be reading anything and even if you were you would not have found anything saying "farmer so and so went to the feed store to buy extra minerals and supplements to add to the turkey food" because turkey food already has all the nutrients required to raise a turkey. High protein feed is necessary, believe it or not, casportpony, TurkeyTimes, and R2elk are not on this website to scam and insult people.

Honestly, as a new turkey mom to pets after twenty years with none I’ve gotten a ton of bad advice. And then I “met” @R2elk and @TurkeyTimes These two have been my lifeline. Along with @casportpony they are the only ones I go to with a problem. Heed the advice they give. IMHO, ignore the rest.(being feed mill and TSC self professed pros). You ususally get great advice here

If you are feeding a balanced chick starter with natural foraging ground for your turkeys to forage until they are 16 weeks old then give them layer feed and enough room for them to forage they are fine! Turkeys have been around for ever and 100 years ago I have never read anywhere that farmer so and so went to the feed store to buy extra minerals and supplements to add to the turkey food. The people now days want growth for bigger meals, over feeding, more processed foods. I for one have my turkeys as pets not as food and they are doing great!
It is sad to see people now days just jump to insult people and try to get people to spend money on things not necessary.
I grew up on a farm and had many relatives who were farmers. Farmers did and do get the best quality and proper feed for the animals they are raising. Farmers are the ones who worked and continue to work on improving their livestock so they can get the best return for their efforts.

Proper turkey starter will be 28% to 30% protein but it isn't just about the higher protein. A quality turkey starter will have much higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than a quality chick starter. These are not nutrients that you go out and buy to add, they are already in a quality turkey starter. The niacin in particular is extremely important to the proper growth and development of their legs.

Using a quality starter to give the poults a good start has nothing to do with growing a bigger and fatter end product. It is very important for growing healthy turkeys that can live a long healthy life if that is the desired end. Poor nutrition at the start can lead to a shortened life span.

Last edited:
110% agree with r2elk. Poults need a much higher protein content than a generic chick starter. As well as having the proper vitamins. I start on a 28% gamebird starter then move to a 22-24% at around 7 weeks. Adult feed can drop even more especially if they're allowed to forage. I found a really good chart that I'll post later.
Thank you for your invaluable advice! :D I'll certainly buy a bag of the proper nourishment tonight.

At what age are turkeys considered "adults," by any chance?

~Alex

Which leads to another question: there's going to be a Silkie in the order, which we were planning on raising with our turkeys. Would the specialized, protein-rich feed harm this little one? If so, adjustments will be made.
I feed turkey starter to my chicken chicks, poults, and peachicks, so I think you'll be fine :D

Which leads to another question: there's going to be a Silkie in the order, which we were planning on raising with our turkeys. Would the specialized, protein-rich feed harm this little one? If so, adjustments will be made.
Chickens can actually handle high protein better than turkeys can. When I brood turkeys and chicks together at the same time, all get the high protein turkey starter. I have never seen any harm to the chickens from this and in my opinion it makes for healthier chicks. People that show their chickens often switch to a high protein feed to get the chickens ready for showing.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom