New to turkeys....what do I feed them?

Are these as pets or for dinner? I have turkeys as pets and just feed them chick starter when babies then a layer feed when older. If the are pets make sure not to over feed them and let them walk around a lot, if they eat to much they will get to the point where they no longer can walk.
If you are having them for dinner then feed then a game bird feed.
Their main purpose in life will be to provide us with companionship, so....pets. :) In that case, starter grower should sustain them sufficiently, I'm assuming. :D

Thank you for your reply!
~Alex

Hello, all! :D

I'm picking up my first poults tomorrow (a Bourbon Red and a Royal Palm), and I've heard mixed opinions as to what one should provide for feed. Am I alright with my usual organic starter grower, or do I need to search out a special type?

Thanks!

~Alex
Turkey poults should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need. I feed mine a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter. It is recommended to feed the starter for 6 weeks and follow it with turkey or gamebird grower that is 24% protein and also contains the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

It is chick starter without the proper levels of lysine, methionine and especially niacin and thiamine that cause the leg problems.

Once they are adults they can be fed a quality all flock or even chicken feed that is at least 16% protein.

Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms are heritage turkeys and if fed properly do not have the issues that the broad breasted turkeys can have.

Last edited:
I have turkeys as pets and just feed them chick starter when babies then a layer feed when older. If the are pets make sure not to over feed them and let them walk around a lot, if they eat to much they will get to the point where they no longer can walk.
This not only isn't true but is bad advice. It is the lack of proper nutrients in chick starter that causes the leg problems.

Turkey poults should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need. I feed mine a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter. It is recommended to feed the starter for 6 weeks and follow it with turkey or gamebird grower that is 24% protein and also contains the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

It is chick starter without the proper levels of lysine, methionine and especially niacin and thiamine that cause the leg problems.

Once they are adults they can be fed a quality all flock or even chicken feed that is at least 16% protein.

Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms are heritage turkeys (if fed properly) and do not have the issues that the broad breasted turkeys can have.
This not only isn't true but is bad advice. It is the lack of proper nutrients in chick starter that causes the leg problems.
So much information to take in! :) I truly appreciate it.

We've located non-GMO, 28% protein turkey starter, and are planning on going that route, as what's required for the poults' well-being is in our best interest.

Which leads to another question: there's going to be a Silkie in the order, which we were planning on raising with our turkeys. Would the specialized, protein-rich feed harm this little one? If so, adjustments will be made.

~Alex

Last edited:
110% agree with r2elk. Poults need a much higher protein content than a generic chick starter. As well as having the proper vitamins. I start on a 28% gamebird starter then move to a 22-24% at around 7 weeks. Adult feed can drop even more especially if they're allowed to forage. I found a really good chart that I'll post later.

110% agree with r2elk. Poults need a much higher protein content than a generic chick starter. As well as having the proper vitamins. I start on a 28% gamebird starter then move to a 22-24% at around 7 weeks. Adult feed can drop even more especially if they're allowed to forage. I found a really good chart that I'll post later.
Thank you for your invaluable advice! :D I'll certainly buy a bag of the proper nourishment tonight.

At what age are turkeys considered "adults," by any chance?

~Alex

Honestly, as a new turkey mom to pets after twenty years with none I’ve gotten a ton of bad advice. And then I “met” @R2elk and @TurkeyTimes These two have been my lifeline. Along with @casportpony they are the only ones I go to with a problem. Heed the advice they give. IMHO, ignore the rest.(being feed mill and TSC self professed pros). You ususally get great advice here

Which leads to another question: there's going to be a Silkie in the order, which we were planning on raising with our turkeys. Would the specialized, protein-rich feed harm this little one? If so, adjustments will be made.
I feed turkey starter to my chicken chicks, poults, and peachicks, so I think you'll be fine :D

36785189_1963114317035193_8133581595106869248_n.jpg

This is an excellent chart

Back
Top Bottom