New to Turkeys - Why are poults so cute??? Also, serious questions.

MeganFair

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Leesville, SC
We decided to experiment with poults this year - we’ve raised ducks for three years and chickens for two. We got 15 turkeys - 6 Midget Whites, 4 Blacks, and 5 Royal Palms. I am already charmed by them, the cute little boogers, and I’m excited to have them around the yard. But I have a couple questions from more experienced keepers. I don’t know why I didn’t ask before, but I’ve done some research on requirements for brooding a such. However, I don’t think I ran across any information that answers the following questions yet.

We’re planning on butchering the birds we don‘t want to keep in October. The poults were hatched April 6th. Is this going to be too early for our particular breeds to get to a good weight or could we even slaughter earlier?

Are there any red flags we should look out for behavior wise or physically? I’d like to keep a tom and a couple hens for eggs and breeding, but we do have a policy of eating the rude. I know what to look for in chickens and ducks, so am I simply looking out for the same behaviors or is there anything particular to turkeys I need to know about?

The Whites and Royal Palms look the same right now. About what age will I be able to see enough feathering to tell them apart?

The poults seem to be very curious and willing to approach us when we check in on the brooder and allow touch as along as you move in a non-threatening manner. My experience with ducks and chickens is that usually it takes some time before they do more than cower in the corner when you get near. Will this behavior continue with encouragement, or will it fade out and they‘ll get more skittish as they get older?

I know it’s not advised to keep chickens and turkeys together, and we’ve got more than enough fencing and yard to give the birds separate areas to roam, but what about ducks? The plan is for each species to have their own coop for the nights, and let em out into the yard during the day. Would it be okay to let the ducks and turkeys roam together? We’ve never had an issue with our current males getting amorous with ladies of the other species - I’ve made sure to keep at least four to five hens per drake and we’ve almost always had at least ten hens for every rooster - but I know disease is the big issue with chickens and turkeys cohabitating. The original plan was to let em all run out together, since I thought that was okay for small backyard flocks, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to at least separate the chickens and turkeys from each other after reading through some of the threads here.

And lastly, because I can, babies.

92C5200B-BB4A-4B26-8894-4897A93E82EB.jpeg

We’re planning on butchering the birds we don‘t want to keep in October. The poults were hatched April 6th. Is this going to be too early for our particular breeds to get to a good weight or could we even slaughter earlier?
You will be able to process them in October. Just don't expect them to be very big. I have processed heritage varieties at 4 to 5 months old with final carcass weights of 12 to 12.5 lbs. As far as Royal Palms go, I have had a finished carcass weight of 15 lbs. on one year old toms.
Are there any red flags we should look out for behavior wise or physically? I’d like to keep a tom and a couple hens for eggs and breeding, but we do have a policy of eating the rude. I know what to look for in chickens and ducks, so am I simply looking out for the same behaviors or is there anything particular to turkeys I need to know about?
If you are imprinting them, don't be surprised if you end up with aggressive toms when breeding season arrives. Don't be surprised when hens assume the breeding posture for you.

I go out of my way to avoid imprinting my poults. I have no human aggressive turkeys. Of course, none of mine are pets.

I try to keep a minimum of 4 to 5 hens for one tom. It makes it much easier on the hens.
The Whites and Royal Palms look the same right now. About what age will I be able to see enough feathering to tell them apart?
The Royal Palms should start developing black markings on some of their feathers as they grow in. I believe I saw black spots starting by the time they were one week old and definitely by two weeks old.
The poults seem to be very curious and willing to approach us when we check in on the brooder and allow touch as along as you move in a non-threatening manner. My experience with ducks and chickens is that usually it takes some time before they do more than cower in the corner when you get near. Will this behavior continue with encouragement, or will it fade out and they‘ll get more skittish as they get older?
Poults are naturally friendly. If you put some feed in your hand, they will walk right into your hand, I recommend against doing this since it can cause human imprinting.
I know it’s not advised to keep chickens and turkeys together, and we’ve got more than enough fencing and yard to give the birds separate areas to roam, but what about ducks? The plan is for each species to have their own coop for the nights, and let em out into the yard during the day. Would it be okay to let the ducks and turkeys roam together? We’ve never had an issue with our current males getting amorous with ladies of the other species - I’ve made sure to keep at least four to five hens per drake and we’ve almost always had at least ten hens for every rooster - but I know disease is the big issue with chickens and turkeys cohabitating. The original plan was to let em all run out together, since I thought that was okay for small backyard flocks, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to at least separate the chickens and turkeys from each other after reading through some of the threads here.
If blackhead is not a problem in your area, keeping turkeys and chickens together can be done as long as the turkeys have lots of room. They require much more "personal space" than chickens need.

There should be lots of obstacles and hiding places since turkeys can become very single minded. They may take issue with one particular bird and keep after that bird relentlessly.

Good luck..

Thank you! If I don’t imprint them, will they still be relatively friendly and not become skittish? I have young children, so I think I’d like to avoid encouraging possible aggressive behavior from a tom at all costs. Right now the poults are in a brooder close to the house, and we check up on them and handle them a little bit, but I’ve been handling them less than my last batch of chicks.

Other than my original flock of ducks, and my dearly departed Sir Sweet Spur, I don’t have any pets in the flock. I enjoy being able to interact with my birds, but the ones I plan to keep are going to have a purpose in the yard. I’m ok with my turkeys not wanting to follow me around like puppies, but I’d prefer them to be socialized to me enough not to run when I approach.

I’ll be cautious about the turkeys and chickens being together for now. The only info I could find for state mentions it breaking out in grower facilities and in the wild populations, so I’m going err on the side of caution for now.

Eh I can see the point of not imprinting to a extent. But I for one always hold my poults, I've had b from wild turkeys from the woods to broad breasted and I have never had a issue with the aggression. Only bird I've had issues with is gold laced Wyandotte teens.
But I'm I would not completely quit. You know the saying can't teach a old dog new tricks

Gotcha. No more petting the babies until they’re a bit older.
Thank you so much!
There is no science to prove aggression in adult animals which were handled by humans as babies. The nicest, friendliest, confident birds (I keep chickens and turkeys together) I own were hand raised and ‘socialized’ by the breeders. My turkeys raised with loads of physical petting and socialization by their breeders are not skittish, are happy to see me, like to be touched (which I think will be really helpful if one ever gets sick or injured or tangled in tripweed) and are personable, looking at you when you talk to them.
My neighbours rooster was raised in a brooder with minimal human contact as a chick and as an adult is the meanest nastiest bully. His brooder brother is a sweetheart!
If you want to pet them or hold them, go ahead. There is no scientific documentable proof that it will make them aggressive or difficult in any way.

There is no science to prove aggression in adult animals which were handled by humans as babies. The nicest, friendliest, confident birds (I keep chickens and turkeys together) I own were hand raised and ‘socialized’ by the breeders. My turkeys raised with loads of physical petting and socialization by their breeders are not skittish, are happy to see me, like to be touched (which I think will be really helpful if one ever gets sick or injured or tangled in tripweed) and are personable, looking at you when you talk to them.
My neighbours rooster was raised in a brooder with minimal human contact as a chick and as an adult is the meanest nastiest bully. His brooder brother is a sweetheart!
If you want to pet them or hold them, go ahead. There is no scientific documentable proof that it will make them aggressive or difficult in any way.
You are mistaken. None of my birds or animals are human aggressive. None of my birds or animals will even approach people or even let people approach them.

All of the human aggressive birds or animals that I have ever had to deal with were imprinted by people when they were very young.

The only exception to this are animals that are big enough to not have a natural fear of people.

You are mistaken. None of my birds or animals are human aggressive. None of my birds or animals will even approach people or even let people approach them.

All of the human aggressive birds or animals that I have ever had to deal with were imprinted by people when they were very young.

The only exception to this are animals that are big enough to not have a natural fear of people.
Show me the science. Every animal I have ever raised with loads of socialization has known their boundaries with humans and been respectful. Every animal I bought raised by someone else took years to become comfortable around humans. You have your experience. I have my experience. I also have not been able to find any science that imprinting causes aggression. Until I see the scientific research to prove my way wrong or your way right, I choose to believe both ways have their benefits.

Back
Top Bottom