1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New turkey won't eat...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PekinBantam, Nov 13, 2012.

1. So I got a new turkey hen 3 days ago and whenever I try to feed her, the chickens run over and the turkey runs away in fear, any ideas? She won't eat with the chickens around her...

Thanks in advance...

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Did you quarantine the turkeys for 30 days before placing them with the chickens??????

Sounds like you will have to separate them so that turkeys can eat - for now.

3. No, we did not quarantine her but we did check with the owner to make sure she wasn't sick or carrying diseases and our chickens are healthy and have shots. I was able to get her to trust me so she eats out of my hands for now but I know that it's only a temporary solution.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You always have to quarantine ANY bird that you get from someone else. NEVER EVER EVER take a person's word that their birds are not sick. Good luck with your bird. I hope that turkey did not bring a disease to your flock.

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    The person you got it from might honestly THINK none of their flock are sick, doesn't make it so. Or they could have something in the incubation stages that has not shown itself yet. I agree, always quarantine! That's how outbreaks get started. Good luck with your new Turkey.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2 :thumbsup

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Place out several different feed pans and separate them by some distance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by