New use for Gladwrap

geekgurl

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Dallas, TX
I didn't get around to working out the window on the cutout that I closed up with hardware cloth this summer.

And it's raining. So I found a new use for gladwrap. Whaddya think?
D.gif

54368_imag0335.jpg

Looks cute with the little colored pieces.

Just a suggestion on how to do the windows.
I got some linoleum underlayment. (it is thin plywood like 1/8 inch thick)
Cut it to size and sandwiched it between the area to be windowed and some 1x3 pieces leaving one end undone.
This made a "track" for the plexiglass and it moves smoothly.
So figuring dimensions went like this:
12x12 window opening=cut the underlayment AKA lamboard to 26 inches x 2 inches
cut the 1x3 to26 inches
sandwich the underlayment between the 1x3 and the wall on the bottom edge of the window. Recess the underlayment so that the bottom of the underlayment is flush with the bottom edge of the 1x3 and both pieces are 3 inches beyond one side of the window opening screw to the wall. (Predrilling helps prevent splits.)
Do the same for the top.
Measure the distance from top to bottom on the end with the 3 inch placement and cut pieces for that. Use the same 1 inch recess.
Slide a 13.5 x 13.5 piece of plexi in and wala a side sliding window.

Or cut all pieces so that the plexi can just be removed when desired instead of staying in the "track".

I had to do sliders for mine since the sides are not easily reached. DH would not budge on doing another run so the second coop was built in the run.
he.gif

Quote:
It's .... ummm ........... colorful!
hide.gif

Just kidding. It may work OK in a pinch, but there definitely needs to be more substantial structure for a window. Geekgurl's idea sounds great.

Like upcdayz said, it works in a pinch! Good idea to keep the rain out for now.
smile.png

Are those soda caps, (beer caps maybe?) with a screw through them holding the wire on???? If so, that's thrifty and cool!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
yeah, I'm much more interested in those colorful "washers" you've used! What are they? Love the colors! Lowes will cut your plexi for you- you can tell them the dimensions you want. Or you can just make solid wood windows closures.

Those are beer caps!
bun.gif
I ran out of washers and hammered some beer caps flat to use as washers. Those washers are costly after you buy a couple boxes of them.

Thank you for the advice on fixing the window, Citychickx.
thumbsup.gif
I need to fix it properly.

Quote:
You are welcome.
I had to fix mine up quick and it works well. Had some cold wind and rain too. My what fun.
The fix I tried to describe is much easier done than said lol.

Back
Top Bottom